Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Bamboo growing in tank?

So, I have a bamboo in my tank that has been with me for months now. I'd say about 6 or so months.

And well, as of about a few weeks ago, it started growing. I don't mean taller, but it has two stalks growing oout of it. One just touched the top of the tank and still has about 2-3 inches before it reaches the hood.

It's roots also seem to have gotten a bit longer. Would it be wise to keep the bamboo in and move it to a spot where the stalk can grow out of the tank, or should I leave it in?

It's more for aesthetic reasons as well as the fact that Lucky LOVES the bamboo that I want to keep it in, but is there any downside to growing bamboo?
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

First off Lucky Bamboo is a Dracnea not a Bamboo. Second it is not Aquatic only Semi-Aquatic to Terristrial.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #3 
homegrown terror

i would take it out and let it grow in a pot till the new shoots are tall enough for their leaves to escape the water surface, and then replant it in your tank.

alternatively, are the shoots growing from the base, or somewhere up on the stalk? if they've got visible roots of their own, it might be better to prune them, roots and all, and let them grow in a pot while the original stalk is still in the tank. be forewarned, it takes careful cultivation to turn a standard dracenia sanderiana into a "lucky bamboo," so your new plants will almost certainly have the standard form, like this: http://www.showyourplant.com/plant_b...04b9127bd2.jpg
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #4 
Alcemistnv

chocolate, I know that -.O

Homegrown, the leaves are already out of the water. The tallest bit actually started growing out of the water ffrom the beginning. The other one I didn't notice it started growing underwater (it's above now) because it was facing the other direction of the tank.

And they are growing from the upper part of the bamboo, so I guess in time it will grow to look like that one. :)
Old 12-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #5 
homegrown terror

well if they're outside of the water i don't see any problem with it at all. just let it grow!
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #6 
Syriiven

If you're worried about it hitting the top of the hood (as it eventually will) you can make custom hoods from plastic mesh. I've done that with my tanks, just cutting out open spots for cords, filter and my bamboo that grows up and out =)
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You can grow it where there is a hole in the lid?
Old 12-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #8 
Alcemistnv

I just realized that the only thing stopping me from moving the bamboo was the fact that there was a fake plant which was actually supporting the divider. I moved it and adjusted the bamboo so now it's by the filter where there is a gap and it can grow :3
Old 12-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #9 
horsyqueen

I have two 'lucky bamboo' I keep them hanging out the tank. Let it grow a little so it can grow enough.
From what I have seen bamboo can be a very fast growing plant. I am not sure if these are the same.
horsyqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I do the gap method too.