Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #1 
cheyenne52883

5g Planted Bowl w/ Algae Problem

I have a 5 gallon planted bowl (no air pump or heat) that houses a halfmoon betta and african dwarf from that is slowly developing green algae on the walls.

What are some tank mates that I can introduce that will:
1) clean up the algae
2) not wreak havoc on my plants

cheyenne52883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Some species of algae is normal and expected in a container of water and can be a sign of a healthy system, however, since this is a closed system-even the good algae needs to be removed manually on occasion along with your regular water changes.

You can control it to a degree-first you need to find out what kind of algae it is. Often excess algae is caused by the nutrient load and/or light related.

IMO/E-a 5gal isn't enough space to house other species of fish along with a Betta for algae control. I don't know much about the ADF to know proper housing for them.

Some species of shrimp and snails can help keep some species of algae controlled to a degree, however, IMO they will not rid the tank of all algae-Plus you shouldn't add more livestock to a system unless you can properly keep them, meet their need and you want them to start with.
A closed system will never be able to support them nutritionally and they will need supplement feedings-both add to the bioload.

Lovely setup by the way....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Nothing. You need a Heater for the Betta. No ADF. Just do more water changes and add a heater. Remeber bowls have a lower bioload because of there shape.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

A 5gal container is 5gals...it shouldn't have any impact regarding bioload

You may or may not need a heater-your goal is to maintain a somewhat stable water temp in the 76-80F range if keeping a tropical species.

Generally the gradual temp changes that normally occur within the tank itself at different levels, with lights on/off and day/night are tolerated by a healthy Betta.

You do need a thermometer to monitor both the tank temp and the temp of the replacement water used for water changes-It is best to try and keep the temp between new and old water within 5-10 degrees more or less with partial water changes and to properly acclimate to both temp and chemistry with any 100% or when the Betta is cupped for water changes to avoid shock issues.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #5 
cheyenne52883

I do a 25% water change every other day and the bowl is kept between 76-78 at all times due to the light and office temp so a heater and removal of the adf aren't necessary.

I am thinking of just adding another plant to help balance the bioload.
cheyenne52883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yes a heater is nessacary the temp is changing too much. Get a filter if you want the ADF. No more plants add Ferts too the one you have. Scrape the glass.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:19 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

How long have youset up this tank? you seem to have diatoms which can be a sign of a new tank trying to cycle. It is possible to manually remove and usually will eventually go away.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It seems the plants in there dont have enough room.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #9 
Aus

Quote:
Remeber bowls have a lower bioload because of there shape.
WTH? Seriously - where'd you get that from? Please verify your facts properly before passing them along to folks... there's enough misinformation out there without it becoming rife here as well.

And the plants look fine to me.

OP -- If you're dead set on no heater (temps do drop at night and on cold days..) and you're keeping up the natural sun exposure, maybe use a magnetic glass scraper right before water changes so it'll flush some of the algae build up out. I'd probably be changing it a bit more frequently if there's no filter or water motion at all, and a lot of algae growing. You could also move the bowl to where it only gets a couple hours sun.

Last edited by Aus; 12-12-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
WTH? Seriously - where'd you get that from? Please verify your facts properly before passing them along to folks... there's enough misinformation out there without it becoming rife here as well.

And the plants look fine to me.

OP -- If you're dead set on no heater (temps do drop at night and on cold days..) and you're keeping up the natural sun exposure, maybe use a magnetic glass scraper right before water changes so it'll flush some of the algae build up out. I'd probably be changing it a bit more frequently if there's no filter or water motion at all, and a lot of algae growing. You could also move the bowl to where it only gets a couple hours sun.
Its true becuase of the lower water to air exposure. It looks like the plants might need more Iron. http://www.saltwater-aquarium-online...-aquarium.html Its also in a few books.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 12-13-2012 at 07:55 AM. Reason: link removed to another fish forum