Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #1 
txbettaowner

Exclamation Fin rot emergency!!!

Woke up this morning to feed my 5 betta females and I noticed that Emerald has fin rot on the bottom of her fin. It has black strands and looks bad. Pictures are below of the poor girl. Is it treatable and what do I need to do? How long does it take to treat it as we are leaving this weekend for Ohio? I can put her in her own 1.5 gallon tank until she is better if I need too with no problem.
Attached Images

txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #2 
nel3

buy some aquarium salt, dose 1tsp per gallon and dont go over 10 days treatment as it can harm the fish when AQ salt term is prolonged. dont use any table salt, its not good for the fish. if you have some stress coat then its also a good idea to use it.

the 1.5g tank is a good size tank for QT/sick tank. just dont forget to keep up with the WC on the 1.5g. how long will you be gone for? the 1.5 gallon shouldnt go without a 100wc for more than a week. i do a 100wc every 3 days for that size of tank but thats just my personal preference.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #3 
bettasareawesome

aquarium salt and clean water is usually all you need. I did daily 20% water changes for a few days with Sushi as well.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #4 
txbettaowner

We will be gone for 11 days. I have a 10 gallon tank that my 5 females are in but I will put the sick female in the 1.5 gallon tank. We will be here for another almost 6 days.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #5 
bettasareawesome

If your lucky and the fin rot hasn't spread very much that might be enough time for her to heal.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #6 
txbettaowner

we will go buy the aquarium salt and stress coat.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #7 
Myates

You may want to leave her in the 10g while away for that long.. for water quality. Poor water quality is what leads to fin rot (probably when you had both in the small tank, too much bio).

But do the AQ salt prior to leaving though - 2tsp per gallon (dissolve prior to placing it with her - 2tsp to help knock it out quicker), daily 100% water changes adding in new salt/stress coat.. then place her back into the 10g before you leave.

The exposure to salt should stop it from advancing while you are away.. or at least slow it down enough where you can continue treatment when you return.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #8 
txbettaowner

Well we aren't going to Ohio now for Christmas. My mom cancelled it because she still isn't feeling good. So I will be able to take care of her. Now what type of Aquarium salt do you recommend and what type of stress coat? What do you suggest for a tank size for a male? I plan on buying one now that we are staying here.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #9 
callistra

API Stress Coat is a water conditioner. It's not the best water conditioner, but it has some properties which aid in healing fins. There is only one kind of aquarium salt and you can get it at your pet store. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4982 http://www.petco.com/product/2896/AP...nditioner.aspx
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #10 
txbettaowner

Thank you Callistra. I wrote them down and we will go to Petco today. I am more concerned about her now because she will lay on the bottom then swim to the top for air then lay back on the bottom and not move.