Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #1 
bethyMT

Just checking my method

Hi. I just need a quick check on what I've done, to see if this is right.

I wasn't expecting it, but I think one of the cambodian babies I have, Zebra, is male (he has a huge beard and his anal fin is really large, although no ventrals). So , he's gotta get out of the tank with his sisters. My five gallon was up and running, although not cycled. So, I took some used media from my 55 gallon tank and put it into the 5 gallon tank's filter. Temp is up to 80, I'm drip acclimating Zebra now. Hopefully this is an instant cycle, but I'll be monitoring just in case.

Anyhoo, when I added the used media, the water in the 5gal got a little cloudy. Is it all right to introduce the betta to the tank with that slight cloudiness? He's probably going to be stressed out enough without water quality problems.

Thank you. I'm just checking to make sure everything's OK. You'd think I've never done this before, but I have...one can never been too safe (or too sorry when a careless mistake is made).
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #2 
Fabian

You should wash the media first before you put them in your tank.
I think you should do a 100% water changes and wash the media before putting your betta in.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #3 
DragonFish

Well, washing the media and doing a 100% water change will just kill off he bacteria, which sort of defeats the purpose of adding the media in the first place I'd think....

The cloudiness is probably just some debris from the other tank and/or a bacteria bloom. I doubt its anything harmful, but if you're really concerned a quick partial 30-40% water change should clear things up a bit.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #4 
sandybottom
Reference Team

just let the filter run for a bit. this is normal for seeding a tank. just test water everyday.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote