Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2013, 12:53 AM   #1 
LadyNightraven

Would you recommend this aquarium?

My betta fish, Rakki, is currently in a one-gallon bowl, but I'm working on getting him a five-gallon aquarium. I'm looking at getting him this aquarium:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...-Pets/14660258

Would you say this would be a good one for a betta? The reviews on the Walmart website look pretty positive, other than saying the filter that comes with it would need to be baffled. I plan to cycle it, although I'm still working on understanding the process. I've read that Tetra SafeStart can be a great way to greatly shorten the process of cycling. Is that right?

Also, I'm still exploring my options as to whether I might want to get companions for Rakki or divide the aquarium in the future for a second betta. Would you still recommend this aquarium?

As a side note, since I figure there might be recommendations for aquariums from Petco or Petsmart, the closest of each of these stores is thirty minutes away from me and I have limited transportation. So I'm trying to see what I can get from Walmart, whether it's in-store or site-to-store.

Thanks for any advice or input!
LadyNightraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:20 AM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu

If the footprint isn't too big, Wal-Mart has a nice 10 gallon in-store kit for about the same price; you could divide the 10 gallon for two or three Bettas; or you could have a wider selection of tank mates for one Betta. That being said, this is a much better buy, IMO, than the other five gallon Hawkeye kit because this one has a fluorescent hood.

I had the other one and the LED lights were awful.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:45 AM   #3 
LadyNightraven

Good to know about the other Hawkeye tank. That's the one my local Walmart has in-store, so I'll have to order the one I'm wanting and have it delivered.

We don't have the space for a ten-gallon, unfortunately, but it's something I want to get in the future when we have the space and money for it. I want to try keeping a sorority or small community tank when the time is right and I feel I have the knowledge to do it successfully. But for now I just want to make sure Rakki has the accommodations he deserves.
LadyNightraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #4 
cbarger94

I have had the hawkeye 5 gallon for about 2 weeks now and I love it!! The lights are awesome for growing plants and my betta Elvis loves it. We upgraded from the 2.5 gallon hawkeye betta wave tank. The filter it came with for me did not work longer than 24 hours. It started running awfully loud and spewing filter media all over the tank. My betta was so so so stressed. I ran out and got a tetra whisper 3i for the tank and it runs perfectly, low flow so my betta doesn't mind it. Get the tank you'll love it!! And the feeding door is a little too small, but the hinged lid is wonderful and makes it super easy to get into the tank.
cbarger94 is offline   Reply With Quote