Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

The problem with two one inch goldfish (if they are common goldfish) is that they have the potential to reach at least a foot in size if provided with adequate space. I believe I read on a goldfish forum that a goldfish can attain its full adult size in around a year if housed and cared for properly.

Even fancy strains can grow to the size of a baseball, if not more.

What is happening to your goldfish now is that they are being stunted. Stunting can severely impact on the longevity and health of your goldfish, even if they don't show it. I had a goldfish that used to live in a 10 gallon tank and is at least 5-6 years old. It is now in better accommodations, but is only half the size it should be at this age. While it still looks impressive to visitors, I know that it has been possibly permanently stunted by its previous life in that tank.

I wish goldfish were not so easily obtainable, as their care requirements often go beyond what the average person can provide. And when you think that they can live for around 15-20 years, you can see that they are often much more of a long-term investment than most fish.

The problem with this thread is he has been on these forums for a long time now, and really should have known better than to do it.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #12 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

2 gallons is not nearly enough for 2" of goldfish. Even at this size a 10 gallon is the minimum for them. Just feel I should point this out, I have 14" of goldfish in my 90 gallon and I can only keep nitrates down with huge water changes, by the end of the week nitrates are back up to 40ppm, even planted and filtered. Those fish will not prosper in that size home, with a potential maximum size of 8-12" they need an upgrade now.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #13 
WhiskeyHands

20 gallon for the first goldfish and 10 for each additional goldfish. So 30 for 2 of them, read it somewhere
WhiskeyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #14 
shellieca

I'm not even going to touch on the 2 Male Bettas in the same tank, but 3 fish in a 2g (I think you said) is WAAAYYYY too many fish even more so since 2 are goldies. You have to consider what the ADULT sized fish needs not the 2" baby. Please rehome them or get the appropriately sized & filtered tank.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #15 
emeraldmaster

Give Dorm a break guys! He said that it was a temporary home... Dorm, I do agree on many levels with what they are saying. I sugest that you rehome the goldfish and if the betta likes the bowl, then so be it! Let the betta keep it, heater + filter though if you please. We ought to be thanking you for the real life experience and kmowledge that you showed us, and the fact that you don't want us to repeat it is a good thing. If you think that you can untaboo the topic then do so.
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #16 
babystarz

Ok, here's why it can't work for two males with normal instincts. In the wild, male splendens betta fish typically have 3 square feet of territory to themselves that they will defend. This means you would need a 6 square foot heavily planted tank for any hope of this working. That would be a very, very wide and short tank. Unless you're interested in breeding a strain of non-aggressive males over tens of generations like OFL, this is the only setup I would confidently place 2 males in together. Since it's also totally unfeasible for most fish keepers, we tend to just say don't do it.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #17 
emeraldmaster

^+1 I agree, it is safer this way, but if you want to do what OFL does, go for it. She could use a little compition I say...
Old 12-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #18 
homegrown terror

OFL is breeding non-aggressive male bettas?? i let me get in on this action, i'd love to one day have a betta "fraternity"!
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #19 
DiiQue

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
OFL is breeding non-aggressive male bettas?? i let me get in on this action, i'd love to one day have a betta "fraternity"!
Oh that would be a sight to behold...
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #20 
emeraldmaster

yes it would! The original could test this if he/she so desires... The we could have multiple males and females together like a school of fish. (think of all the bubble nests!!!