Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #1 
aemaki09

I dont know what to do! PLEASE HELP!

Sorry for posting about this same problem twice, I am just worried sick about all these guys!
I have 2 different problems.
1st, one by one, the girls in my sorority are dying off. They act like they dont have any motivation to move, 2 acted like they had swim bladder issues, hard time getting air, and they have white poo. I dont notice any pine coning, salt, velvet, anything! for the first 2 i moved them to seperate QT tanks with AQ salt hoping that would help till i figured out how.what to treat. They both died within a couple hours of being moved. My third girl and one of my favorites is now affected. She still has some energy, but hasnt ate and has a long string of poo that's been there for hours now. She looks really bloated if that makes any difference? I dont want to move her since the other 2 died shortly after they were moved (NOT shock- it was water from the same tank they just came out of)- I added some jungle life-guard tablets to the water a couple hours ago, hoping it'll help a little.
2nd, I bought a blue marble CT boy the other day at the LPS. He seems to not have any sort of energy. I havent seen him ate more than 1 pellet since i've had him, which has been about 5 days now. He just kind of floats and sleeps all day. I have had him in some AQ salt in a QT tank for about 3 days now with no change, if anything he is getting worse. At first I thought it was just acclimation, and I know it hasnt been THAT long, but there is something not right about him. No change in appearance since getting him, behavior is getting more and more sluggish. For the past few hours he has been laying on his side at the bottom with his back end floating a tiny bit. The only reason I know he's alive is because I see him using his gills.
Please help. I would hate to lose any more of my babies, but I would be absolutely devastated if I keep losing girls!! I cant afford, nor do i want to, start over with a whole new sorority, I love these girls and they get a long perfectly!

This is for sorority only
Housing
What size is your tank? 26 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? nope
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 8 girls total, 6 cory's, and 3 oto's -- had some ramshorn snails and ghost shrimp in there but removed them to treat with the jungle lifeguard.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega one betta buffet & frozen bloodworms on occasion
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2x/day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2x weekly minimum (been battling algea)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-35%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? tetra safestart and flourish comprehensive fertilizer

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:7.5
Hardness:150
Alkalinity: 300?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? bloated, white poo
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? very lethargic, wont eat, hard time breathing
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a few hours before each died (the one that is sick right this second I noticed around noon and she is still alive, so holding out hope!)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Jungle Lifeguard.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I am aware of, only had each for a few months
How old is your fish (approximately)? 4-6 months?

Last edited by aemaki09; 12-17-2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Added info
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

The white poo and bloat indicates internal parasites... I'm not familiar with medications but AQ salt is used for external parasites and injuries. Epsom salt is used for internal problems and bloating, which seems to be your problem.
I myself have a Betta right now that is bloated and floating and very lethargic but doesn't have white poo... I noticed symptoms on Thursday and he's not getting any better. Hopefully maybe someone will be able to help you with your new CT and also help give me some answers....
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #3 
aemaki09

Yeah, I know that AQ is external and epsom is internal, but the closest store to me(walmart) is out and I'm sick with a terrible flu so I didnt feel well enough to drive anywhere else. I was hoping the jungle stuff would work, but im pretty sure its for bacteria and fungus only. I have some maracyn as well but thats not for parasytes either. Going to bribe my sister to go out for me tomorrow and get whatever is suggested. Hopefully this girl survives till then and it can be a good preventative measure against my other girls and tank-mates. :/
Old 12-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #4 
callistra

I think you might be overstocked.. 17 fish in a 26 gallon PLUS snails and ghost shrimp? I'd say that's at least two tanks worth of fish..

You've got good pellets, and it's good to break up feedings. How many do you feed per day? Do you do a fast day a week?

For this you need epsom salt not aquarium salt. 1 tsp per gallon predissolved and you need to be very careful that it's pure with no additives (check ingredients label) I know CVS pharmacy has a brand but you should be able to find others in your local grocery store pharmacy. This could be parasite or bacterial in nature.. you have a couple choices here. You could go for in the water med like Kanaplex that goes internal. Or you could feed meds.. get some garlic guard or use a little tank water in a cup, add a measure of Metronidazole, mix it up, soak it for 10-15 minutes and feed 2 twice a day for at least 2 weeks and at least one week past when he seems totally fine. It could take 3-4 weeks. I would also maybe get a pellet that soaks a little better just for the med administering.. since that is so high in protein it won't soak up as much as say hikari, betta bites or aqueon.

The Kanaplex will only treat bacteria. The Metro will mostly treat parasite but may also be successful with bacterial. The only thing that might treat internal parasites by adding it to the water would be prazipro.. but it's definitely not the most effective. Generally, for internal parasites you need a medicated feed. You can also buy premedicated pellets but they're expensive and I doubt you can find locally.

Last edited by callistra; 12-17-2012 at 12:36 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:53 AM   #5 
aemaki09

well, i removed all the snails and shrimp and put them in an empty 5 gallon, the shrimp were originally supposed to be food, but my betta's befriended them and the cory's were in there temporarily till my next tank was cycled. A friend gave 3 of them to me when she realized that she couldnt take care of them. Anyways, Now the cory's and oto's have to stay in there till this sickness is over so there isnt any cross contamination. I got the oto's because I had an algea problem and was planning to move them to my next tank too soon as it cleared up, but yeah, I agree it is overstocked, but the filter I have on is rated for 50 gallons so it isnt too horrible for the time being. I didnt intentionally do this, My original stocking was 8 bettas, 3 cories and 4 snails.

I stick about 15 pellets in the water 2x daily since its pretty much impossible to feed individually in a sorority, whatever isnt ate by the girls was going to the shrimp. I do fast, this week I actually fasted from thursday till today hoping it was just bloat.

I dont think I've ever seen any of the meds you are talking about other than the epsom salts in the pet stores around here. I know my LFS has like nothing, and I only have a petsmart and pet supplies plus near me to go to, I've never looked for those specific meds, but I dont think I've seen them there? Is that the active ingredient or the brand? I know I've never seen food-meds at either though. Are there other options? I dont think my girls have the time for me to order online.
Would it be okay to treat the meds and epsom salts at the same time?
Old 12-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #6 
aemaki09

heres before and after pics of the female (skinnier in before) and of the male, in case it is helpful
I noticed the female is missing a ventral fin all of the sudden?
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2012, 01:25 AM   #7 
callistra

You could try cupping them during feeding. At the least I would watch and make sure each girl is getting their share and one dominant one isn't hogging it all, and I would remove anything that drops.

You can treat epsom salts and meds at the same time just fine.

Well.. I would wager on it being bacterial anyway, and get what you can locally. Trying to treat an internal parasite infection has a rather limited med base, and anyway it tends to be a much much slower process with plenty of time to order online. Sometimes it can start parasite and turn bacterial and the bacterial is what really speeds it along.

Try Maracyn Plus (not to be confused with Maracyn or Maracyn II). If you can't find that maybe Furan 2? It's by API and should be available just about anywhere. Key is it has to go internal and some are much better for this than others.

Last edited by callistra; 12-17-2012 at 01:28 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:42 AM   #8 
aemaki09

Awesome. Thanks. I'll look into all this tomorrow
Old 12-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #9 
aemaki09

The girl was dead when I woke up this morning. :(
Old 12-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #10 
aemaki09

I went an bought epsom salts and furan 2 to treat everyone left in the tank. Is this okay with live plants? I read that Val's normally melt from it so I took those out, but is it bad for other plants too?
The only other product that they had that was mentioned mad the marycin plus, but I didn't know it was so expensive and didn't have enough cash on me.
The marble boy is starting to look worse, he's laying on his side at the bottom and can't swim at all--when he does he's kind of just whirling around in circles. I put a little bit of furan and Epsom salts in with him praying that might help, but I think it's too late for him too seeing as he hasn't ate in over a week that ive had him.
I'm praying this will be the end of the deaths!