Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #1 
Nothingness

5 days of AQ salt treatment and no change

Charlie has been in his hospital tank for 5 days with 100% wc daily, 80F, and adding 3 tsp AQ salt to treat his fin rot along with a double dose of Stress coat and some IAL. Today I upped the AQ Salt to 4tsp.

There has been no change in the black end of his dorsal fin. Its not better but its not worse. Should I start to consider a medication to help him through this? if so what?
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #2 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness View Post
Charlie has been in his hospital tank for 5 days with 100% wc daily, 80F, and adding 3 tsp AQ salt to treat his fin rot along with a double dose of Stress coat and some IAL. Today I upped the AQ Salt to 4tsp.

There has been no change in the black end of his dorsal fin. Its not better but its not worse. Should I start to consider a medication to help him through this? if so what?
I think it's your call, aq salt is not instant working, I don't recommend having temperature at 80 farenheit, and istead would lean to 78-77F as warmer temperatures allow bacteria to grow faster.

If you feel medication is needed then dose medication as instructed and keep up 100% changes redosing medicine all along.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #3 
Nothingness

I prefer to not use medication. Its my first time treating fin rot so I was not sure how quickly i should see change with the AQ salts. I will stick it out for the 10 days and hopefully see some change and I have also turned the heater down a bit. If by then the black is still present I will look into meds. Any recommendations?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #4 
MSG

What is the salt/water ratio?

I've only used 1-2 teaspoons k-salt/gallon of water. Never exceeded that amount.

But I also noticed the bettas that are more active, tend to heal faster.

What brand/type of food are you feeding yours? Better quality food helps.

Post a photo if you can, you could be dealing with something other than just fin rot.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #5 
Nothingness

He has only eaten omega one pellets since we got him. I will take a pic tonight