Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #51 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I put all the stuff in then add the plants. I have fitted like 10 plants in.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #52 
Xaltd1

Can you take a pic of it so I can see what you mean?
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #53 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Old 12-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #54 
DragonFish

You wouldn't be able to put plants in your filter without some kind of media in there, there would be no place for enough bacteria to colonize to establish your cycle/keep it going and stable. However, what CB means(and has, I do believe)is that you can put a small semi-aquatic plant, like bamboo, in your typical HOB filter. I'm not sure if this truly does all that much more for water quality, there are certainly some better fully aquatic plants that help more with that, but aesthetically it has a neat look, and its a way to incorporate bamboo into your setup if you like its look as it can't be fully submersed.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #55 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I ounce had Java fern in my ten gallon filter so you can have all the equitment in and an aquatic plant or semi aquatic. My 20 gallon filter has a sponge and filter media and that extra stage thing in.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #56 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
You wouldn't be able to put plants in your filter without some kind of media in there, there would be no place for enough bacteria to colonize to establish your cycle/keep it going and stable. However, what CB means(and has, I do believe)is that you can put a small semi-aquatic plant, like bamboo, in your typical HOB filter. I'm not sure if this truly does all that much more for water quality, there are certainly some better fully aquatic plants that help more with that, but aesthetically it has a neat look, and its a way to incorporate bamboo into your setup if you like its look as it can't be fully submersed.
A. Lucky Bamboo is a Dracnea. B. Semi Aquatic plants do wonders on water quality. There is more CO2 in the Atomspere so there not limited by that.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #57 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
A. Lucky Bamboo is a Dracnea. B. Semi Aquatic plants do wonders on water quality. There is more CO2 in the Atomspere so there not limited by that.
I wasn't referring to Lucky bamboo specifically. If you noticed, I just said bamboo. ;)
And I never said they didn't do ANYTHING for water quality, just not any more then regular aquatic plants would. I'm sure semi aquatic plants to wonderfully in filters and aquariums with all that nutrients, and of course like any plant they do do something to help with the quality of the water.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #58 
Xaltd1

I plan on putting potted plants around my tank, too! I have one of my 3 Aerogardens behind it now. I figure the extra light will help the plants, and it will make a nice backdrop, esp. If I grow coleus or a flowering plant.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #59 
Xaltd1

P. S.- What an HOB filter?
Old 12-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #60 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
I wasn't referring to Lucky bamboo specifically. If you noticed, I just said bamboo. ;)
And I never said they didn't do ANYTHING for water quality, just not any more then regular aquatic plants would. I'm sure semi aquatic plants to wonderfully in filters and aquariums with all that nutrients, and of course like any plant they do do something to help with the quality of the water.
I cant even find a real Bamboo that can live in filters.