Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #1 
bethyMT

Oh look...another gender ? thread!~

Hi again. I know this has been posted over.and over.and over. But I've got a cambodian over here that seems maleish, although I was told it was a female. This is a giant HMPK.

First question: can females have beards? This fish has one, dark red, same color as her fins. It's also prominent without flaring. I can't get her to flare. Also, there are no ventrals on this one to help me. AAARGH!

Second question: her anal fin is larger than her sisters'. She's only 12 weeks old, and I think it is going to grow out more. The other females I have show a short, knife-blade like anal fin. Hers is more flowing, reaching more than half of her tail.

Third question: Do giants take longer to grow up? These guys are 12 weeks and I still don't know the gender on this one. I didn't know my Sassy was a boy until his anal fin grew to be huge, which didn't happen until I isolated him.

In the meantime I've isolated this fish and am watching.

Soon, I'm going to stop spamming this place. Really. I just have so many questions with these babies, they are driving me crazy. But I have to admit it's kinda fun, raising little bettas!

EDIT: Photo 1: the beard
Photo 2: the fins, and some internal organs in the light
Attached Images

Last edited by bethyMT; 12-17-2012 at 10:59 AM.
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #2 
bethyMT

Anybody? More pictures needed?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #3 
BeckyFish97

I have to say to me he/she looks female, we would have a better idea if you could get a picture with the gills flared so we could see the beard, but in my opinion even for a HMPK the fins are too short to be a boy, I'm sure a more experienced member will be along to help soon :)
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #4 
MSG

Looks female.

Try to get a closeup where the ventrals would be.
  • Did you breed her yourself?
  • What are you feeding your bettas?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #5 
bethyMT

No, I didn't breed her. She came to me this way, no ventrals. I know why it happens (I totally had to post here to figure it out lol). Strangely enough, many of her siblings have perfectly formed ventrals, and some have none/deformed ones.

She does look girly if I evaluate the photos. But, her fins, although short, are longer than her sisters' fins, and pointier, if that makes sense. I will take more photos tomorrow and post them too.

It really doesn't matter what gender she is, since I'm not breeding anybody and this is one fish that I'm keeping (this is Zebra, and I'm keeping Sassypants too). Gender determination in these guys has been constantly annoying me since I got them 2.5 weeks ago. I just wanna know already! Like a puzzle I can't solve.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #6 
aemaki09

Looks female to me though it would be much easier to tell with ventrals. Can you see an egg spot?
Also not flaring is a good indication that its female, but the age and never having been seperated could also be a factor in that.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

I would say female. She just looks female to me. I have had a few 'surprise' males and you tend to be able to tell fairly early on. The angle of the anal fin always is a big indicator for me.

Also she is so light bodied you should be able to see her ovaries if she is female. The ovaries are like a white coloured triangle just behind the stomach if I remember correctly.

Hope that helps. She's quite lovely even without the ventrals.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Looks female. However yes giants do take longer to grow. Anal fin is a definite telltale, but considering she has a shorter anal fin than my giant male (pic included for your convenience)

Edit: I notice in this picture it looks like he has tattered fins but he doesn't xD That was when I first got him.
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:43 AM   #9 
Fabian

Try to isolate her for a day without any fish in sight.
The next day,let her see another smaller sibling or any smaller betta.When she flares,take a picture.This method helps me take pictures without wasting time.
And she looks like a female to me too.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

First question: can females have beards?
Yes, but they are usually smaller than male's beard.

Second question: her anal fin is larger than her sisters'. She's only 12 weeks old, and I think it is going to grow out more. The other females I have show a short, knife-blade like anal fin. Hers is more flowing, reaching more than half of her tail.
The fins looks small/short, implying it's a female. But if sister's are even shorter, this might be a male. You need to look at the overall form. Try viewing from above, males look slimmer with big heads while females looks as if they have smaller heads and bigger in the belly area.

Third question: Do giants take longer to grow up? These guys are 12 weeks and I still don't know the gender on this one. I didn't know my Sassy was a boy until his anal fin grew to be huge, which didn't happen until I isolated him.
What do you mean? Longer to show gender? As far as I know they grow much faster thus usually show signs of gender sooner. I read that they grow more length wise during the odd months and more form wise during even months. But I can't really say if this is true or not.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote