Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #11 
Jessa24

Good point....they could have gotten a bad batch in. Is there abother Petsmart or Petco you could go to to get your new betta?
Jessa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #12 
Lizdu

My husband is exchanging the one from yesterday, but I am also considering getting one from another store, and see if that makes a difference. They supposedly are getting a new shipment today I believe. Thanks for all the advice. I'll definitely try the water changes instead of just the floating.
Lizdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #13 
Silverfang

To clean a tank after a fish dies, you need to use at minimum vinegar, bleach if you are willing. For bleach a 1:20 ratio with scalding water.
Then rinse and rinse and rinse. At this point I use vinegar, 1:10 ratio.
I rinse another three or four times.
Then I fill it up and overdose on dechlorinator. I let sit, then dump out.
Then I fill it up again and use a double dose of dechlorinator. When water is proper temp, you can try a new fish.

Please note this is just being extra paranoid.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

There's nothing wrong with being paranoid IMO. I'd rather rinse it too much than not enough :p bleach and vinegar are two of the SAFEST things you can use to clean an aquarium, even though they sound scary, lol.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #15 
Shadyr

Since it's for your daughter, is there any way to hide fishy till he's proved his mettle by living for more than 2 days?

With that many going that fast, it does sound like something bad happened to that batch Sorry you are having issues there, and I hope you get a healthy one this time.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #16 
LittleBlueFishlets

How much are you feeding them? People here have said that their stomachs are the size of their eye. They don't need to eat a lot.

And you don't *need* to feed the new fish right away, after bringing him home. Bettas can go quite awhile between meals.

If you have the Aqueon Betta Pellets, there should be an expiration date listed on the bottle. Look at the bottom, if you don't see it on the side. (I think that all of the 'better foods' list expiration dates.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #17 
callistra

Something may be in the water or the tank. It never touched soap or other chems did it?

I would bleach the bowl and toss everything else and start over. Also cupping is good. I would also add a couple tablespoons of water every 10 minutes for at least an hour before adding. I would switch food too.. maybe you have some bad pellets. Try Omega One or NLS Betta.

What conditioner are you using? Have you tested your tap water for ammonia and what is the ph?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #18 
zaphekiel

Aw.. something very similar happened to me with bettas less than a month ago. I went through 3 bettas within a week and a half. Luckily I have a water test kit and could check my water parameters.. and as they were fine all I could figure was that the fish themselves were ill. Either their immune system was just terrible, shock at the new water parameters (despite drip acclimating them), but alas.. I was heartbroken and felt like a fish murderer...

I gave up on pet stores and got a fish from a breeder and he has been very well... so far my longest living betta, at nearly a week.. though hopefully he will be with me for years to come.

Fingers crossed for new fishy that he will stay healthy for you and your family, and do not despair.. all we can do is try our best. *hugs* I know how sad it is to lose fish so quickly, don't give up!
zaphekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #19 
Lizdu

Thanks you guys/gals! We have started a new tank with new everything. Our daughter said this morning, that if he lives a week, she's going to name him Survivor. I found it pretty funny considering she's 8. So far she had Albert, Blue Moon, and Dragon. I'm not sure how he'll do though. Turns out that he's the last CT of the shipment, and he has popeye to boot. I'll be trying the epsom salt beginning today. fingers crossed. They got a new shipment in today, so we'll see.
Lizdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #20 
Shadyr

Good luck! *crosses fingers* Judging by my 8 year old, they are suprisingly sophisticated Tho terrible at remembering to feed their betta on their own (luckily for Indigo, I ask her every night!)
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote