Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #1 
Surferjo

Please Join in my hatred of Petco/Petsmart

Ok, maybe hatred is too strong a word. Lets go with very PO'ed.

I've purchased 4 different types of aquatic plants for my tank and of those 4 only one was truly a fully submersible aquariam plant (thanks to the members of this forum for all the help BTW).

Why do I even bother? I should just go to the garden center of Home Depot from now on. I bet they know just as much about aquariams as the petco/petsmart staff.

And dont even get my started on the amount of aquariams they carry that are under a 1/2 a gallon? I lost track at around 15 or so.....
Surferjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #2 
OrangeAugust

If you buy the plants from the tank, they're aquatic (except the bamboo whose leaves have to be above water). But yes, I've gotten 3 plants from Petco's tubes that aren't aquatic even though they say they are. I am going to write them a letter about that.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #3 
SnowySurface

Yeah...Petco and Petsmart are the last places I would go for live aquatic plants. When the plants are truely aquatic, they are dead or dying. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #4 
Solaris

They sell tanks under a 1/2 gallon? I've never seen one before. That's really terrible.
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #5 
Geomancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
If you buy the plants from the tank, they're aquatic (except the bamboo whose leaves have to be above water). But yes, I've gotten 3 plants from Petco's tubes that aren't aquatic even though they say they are. I am going to write them a letter about that.
Not always true, especially with Petco. They still put stuff like Mondo Grass in the tanks.

With Petsmart and the tube plants I've always been able to tell the difference (Semi-Aquatic sticker on top = don't put under water) but their selection is really poor (only 3 or 4 plant types).

Petco has a better selection, but you have to know what you are looking for. And their plant tanks are always overgrown with algae. I haven't spent time looking at their tube plants to see if they put a sticker on them or not like Petsmart.

In every case, both local and chain store, I have gotten better looking and healthier plants just by ordering online. The local stores in my area are far worse than Petsmart/Petco in every way, not just plants. There is one good local store, but it's not so local for me (over 1 hour drive each way) so usually ordering plants online saves me money due to fuel cost.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #6 
Surferjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post
Not always true, especially with Petco. They still put stuff like Mondo Grass in the tanks.

With Petsmart and the tube plants I've always been able to tell the difference (Semi-Aquatic sticker on top = don't put under water) but their selection is really poor (only 3 or 4 plant types).

Petco has a better selection, but you have to know what you are looking for. And their plant tanks are always overgrown with algae. I haven't spent time looking at their tube plants to see if they put a sticker on them or not like Petsmart.

In every case, both local and chain store, I have gotten better looking and healthier plants just by ordering online. The local stores in my area are far worse than Petsmart/Petco in every way, not just plants. There is one good local store, but it's not so local for me (over 1 hour drive each way) so usually ordering plants online saves me money due to fuel cost.
Lol, I purchased Mondo Grass last night, it's what prompted this thread. The irony is I have it growing in my backyard.

I really likebtheblook of the mondo grass, is thee anything fully aquatic that looks similar?

Thanks.
Surferjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

We don't have those two chain stores here, but nearly every single store I have walked into that sells live plants has tanks full of non-aquatic bog plants.

Only two that I have been in that don't, are also ironically the two best stores in the state and have owners who are always there and very on the ball.

Unfortunately, in this hobby you really have to do your own research prior to going in. I would never just take a store employee's word for anything as I was burned so badly in the past when I was younger and the internet was not what it is today.

Generally, if a plant looks like it could be a house plant or seems to be able to hold itself rigid out of the water (most true aquatic stem plants will just flop over, anubias doesn't as that actually tends to grow emersed in its natural environment), then it is probably a non-aquatic. However, these plants can usually be grown with their roots submerged, so if you buy a couple of plastic shower caddies and fill them with soil or gravel, you can hang them in your betta's tank and they should grow.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

Home Depot sells aquatic plants? Lol.
I would like to get live plants but the only place I know where to get them is Petco and petsmart and of course they're all in tubes, and since I'm a beginner, I probably wouldn't be able to keep them alive long enough to get them in the tank. I am also skeptical of ordering online because I think the plants would freeze during shipping D:
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #9 
OrangeAugust

The plants in the tube at Petco all say "Aquatic Plant", but there are no stickers that say not to put it under water. I find that the plants in the tank are a very poor selection, too. Petsmart has a good selection of healthy-looking plants in their plant tank. Especially on Wednesdays when they get their shipment. But even on Mondays and Tuesdays they still have some good plants left.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #10 
Geomancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
The plants in the tube at Petco all say "Aquatic Plant", but there are no stickers that say not to put it under water. I find that the plants in the tank are a very poor selection, too. Petsmart has a good selection of healthy-looking plants in their plant tank. Especially on Wednesdays when they get their shipment. But even on Mondays and Tuesdays they still have some good plants left.
They can with the stores that have a plant tank, but they are the minority. Most only have tube plants and they've started to sell ones that come in boxes with several baby plants in gel.

As for ordering online, you generally don't have to worry about them freezing unless you are not home when the package arrives. Small sellers usually ship by USPS Priority Mail which is 1-3 days. Larger stores usually use UPS 2-day (with the option for overnight $$). One of the smaller sellers that I've bought from shipping the plants wrapped in fiberglass insulation (the plants are wrapped in wet newspaper first). I did an order in January. They arrived cold, but alive, last year Winter didn't exist here in New England though. Best to wait until summer in any case (but still, they can't sit out in the sun all day).
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote