Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #1 
happypappy

swollen belly - nothing is working

So I have this crowntail male who looks like a pregnant platy. I have been fasting him for 7 days. He has only had a meal of daphnia (fr) once during that time. I now have him in epsom salt water. He seams otherwise healthy -- swimming and acting normal. But I swear he is going to burst! Nothing I have done helps this swollen belly. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas.

He is in the same water as my community tank and other 7 bettas. 2.5 gal and all water paramenters are good. Water changes 100: every other week; 50% every other week.

He cannot keep swelling -- something has to give!!!!!!!!!
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Has he pooped? Could he have parasites perhaps? Are his scales sticking out?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #3 
happypappy

He seem very healthy, swimming normally, But the belly!!!!!! Swollen and fins are sticking out. I will try to shap a photo of him. The strange thing is that he acts hughly normal! I do not think it is parasites as I have had him for about 5 months since he was about 1 inch long. I just don't know how much longer he can keep expanding. I don't think it is dropsy, cause he seems so 'normal" and not at all sick. Just don't know what to do with him next. Thanks for your interest and any help.........
Old 12-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Hmmm has he pooped?? How much epsom is he on? I recommend 2-3 teaspoons per gallon, with every day cleaning and re-adding of the salt.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

You don't want to confuse a normal full tummy with true bloat and treat needlessly-Usually with bloat and/or constipation issues you will have other sings/symptoms along with the enlarged abdomen-Like-more lethargic, clamp fins, buoyancy issues, hiding, stops eating and/or appetite change and stops pooping, however, lack of fecal material isn't always a good indicator since some Betta will destroy or eat it-as well as diet and the environment itself being a cause.

Can you post a pic and give us more info:
How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, filter, live plants, additives used, tank mates, how long you have had him/age of Betta if known, has he been spawned, appetite/food/feeding and more info on current treatment-how much Epsom salt used and for how long, water changes for Tx, QT, heat/humidity over water...etc.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #6 
happypappy

Believe me, this is not a normal full tummy. I had hoped that by fasting him it would help, but he was larger this morning. He looks like he swallowed a marble!
as far as your questions: I have had him since he was a juvenile about 5 months.
2.5 tank
change water: alternate 100% and 50% water change every week
always a good eater -- ate the guppy fry, ghost shrimp, etc. I feed him 2-3 aqueon betta pellets/day (more when he was growing)
I have just tried fasting him, but added 1 tsp epsom salt yesterday and another 1 tsp today.
Heat: heated to a constant 79. Bowl is covered so humid on inside.
His bowl contains live plants --minisword, anubia, wisteria, gravel, and a sunken log. The only change was that I took out his filter about a month ago since it was growing algae and turning the water green!

I have 7 other bettas and they are all doing well. None have had this issue. I will post a photo tonight ----

Thanks so much for your interest!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #7 
callistra

The aqueon pellets are wheat based and can lead to constipation. I would try to find a protein based pellet like New Life Spectrum Betta or Omega One. Be aware NLS are smaller so you must feed more. Like 5 a day is pretty minimal. A lot of people feed 6-8.

It can take a few days for epsoms to work. Keep him in them and we'll see.. if you have photos that would help. If he is actually pine coned he needs actual meds in addition to the epsoms.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #8 
happypappy

pictures of swollen belly

so i just got in from work and he is bigger! so attached are some photos. You can see that he looks healthy -- but healthy like a balloon. If anyone has any ideas ---- please let me know Thanks
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Yikes! When was the last time he pooped? (Didn't see an answer to that)
Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #10 
happypappy

don't know. never see him do that -- but he has had nothing to eat for a week save a couple of daphnia!