Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #31 
hannah16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
What is uncalled for is having an entire forum to make these request. But no.. you come in to the SHOW fish section and want your pet shop fish evaluated then don't like what you hear. And then I'm rude because I tick off the faults and am annoyed people can't respect this ONE section for what it was set up for. To discuss SHOW fish and SHOWING fish.
Why not just point them into the right direction??

"This is my opinion on your fish, but next time post it in this section."

I think that would have been a better reply.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #32 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah16 View Post
I believe she got upset because the honest opinion was in someone elses opinion "Blunt" but to most everyone else was very rude.

There is a way to give an opinion in a respectful manner.
Critiquing fish is what I do. I don't have all day. I take the best of AB and I run through their good and bad points on my facebook page and I do it all the time. There is no way in print to sugar coat your fish has faults. And from a breeders eye evaluations are going to be critical.

If you don't want to hear the bad PLEASE go some where else and get your fish evaluated.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #33 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

This is a Family Friendly Forum. We ALL should be nice to eachother.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #34 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
That was a real question of mine.
I'd like to know why people ask then gripe at what they get too.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #35 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It may just its not what they ecpected. I know Carter is far from Perfect. But I still love him.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #36 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
This is a Family Friendly Forum. We ALL should be nice to eachother.
Then you might start being nice to me. If you enjoy the fish that is all that is needed. My evaluation in no way diminishes the value of it as a companion. If you want an evaluation of your fish.. pet or show.. then don't complain when you are told the faults. The header to this section says show fish. The standard is going to be much higher here. I should not have to tell someone to post in another section because their feelings may get hurt. Either they want an evaluation based on show standards or they don't.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #37 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
It may just its not what they ecpected. I know Carter is far from Perfect. But I still love him.
I should hope so. He is beautiful. Just in a different way. I do not mean to hurt anybodies feelings. But if asked to evaluate a fish based on show standards I do no one justice glossing over faults. It does not give credibility to me as a breeder either.

Sorry for ruffled feathers.. just make sure you want want you ask for.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #38 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Am I being mean to you? Show standards dont always mean there the best Betta. Waht you think of your fish matter. I would expect Carter to be shown to be bad quality.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #39 
inareverie85

I agree that this section should be for show fish. I am very active in betta facebook groups, but I rarely come here any more because I don't feel this forum really offers what I need anymore. There is precious little serious discussion on showing or breeding, and the few threads in those sections that do have merit are drowned out by the multitudes of threads where people get angry because they are told not to breed or show their fish. It's one extreme or the other, really: a little good information from a few who think they know everything (not everyone here, but some) or a bunch of bad information/whining from those who haven't bothered to educate themselves at all on the subject. (I have my issues with both, as I think that there is more than one way to skin a cat, but I take more issue with the easily-offended individuals.

Breeders and showers are not elitist jerks. But they are blunt. In the most ideal sense, a breeder or shower should seek to bring out and display the best elements of the species (and to make it even better). Unless you are incredibly experienced, know what to look for, and are willing to raise, feed, and rehome many EXTRA generations of fish to arrive at the desired result, pet store fish are not generally recommended to breed within showing rings.

Honestly, when I initially read Sherolyn's posts, I didn't take them to be rude in tone at all. To me, they seemed confused, actually, as to why the thread is here. That's really all she said, anyway. I guess I was rude in silently agreeing with her, and wondering the same thing myself.

As to talking with one another in here, I am of the opinion that the best way to have a dialogue with someone about something you don't know is to put in a little effort beforehand. Don't know about showing bettas? Look it up. It's all over the place if you just use your friendly neighborhood Google. Educate yourself a little bit, and then maybe you won't get so angry when your questions get answered in a way that you don't like. And instead of the "Evaluate my Fish!" threads (that you see in almost every other section of the site), there will be more discussion on actual shows, actual show standards, show results, and conditioning for shows.

Yes, all of our fish are lovely pets and should be appreciated no matter how well they'd place in shows.

But there are many other places in this forum to show that sort of unconditional love and appreciation.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #40 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

But Google does not always lead to good sources. They were asking about there Betta. They are new here and still learning the proper sections.