Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #1 
candymoon

Help! Pretty sure my betta is dying!

Well as I have posted before my newest betta, Angel, has hardly eaten since I got her. But as time has gone on she has started to become more lethargic and is still not eating. For a while she was hardly moving at all, just resting at the bottom. Then I did a water change, and she seemed to improve a lot. Yesterday she was slipping back into being lethargic, but still moving around some though she refused to eat again. Today, however, she has hardly moved from one spot on the bottom! Her gills were moving rapidly. So I went to an aquarium shop today and talked to a person there, and he gave me some medicine for bacterial infections. I went home and she was lying on her side, not moving at all but still at the bottom. I gave her the medicine and she still is not moving, laying on her side at the very bottom. She is usually very clear, but now she looks redder to me. I'm really freaking out! I'll post my tank info in a moment, I just want to go on and get this out there!
candymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #2 
candymoon

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 degress
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? She will not eat
How often do you feed your betta fish? I try twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every Wednesday and Saturday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% each change and a 100% every other Saturday
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Betta safe

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She is typically a clear fish, but she looks redder to me now.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She had been lazy since I got her, but was curious and moved around. Now she does not move or respond at all and lays at the bottom on her side.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Friday, but Saturday after her change she was acting better, but today she is looking VERY bad
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I am using API's Betta Fix
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm not sure, i've only had her for three weeks and she is extremely small.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I would go ahead and get her in a small QT that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain temp in the 76-77F range. Then mix up some treatment water in a 1gal jug of double dosed dechlorinated water-add a tannin source-either IAL or dried Oak leaf and use this water for 25% water changes every 15min for 1hr-Be sure the premixed treatment water is pretty close in temp to her QT water she is in. Cover the top with plastic veggie wrap-turn off the light, hold food for now.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #4 
candymoon

Should I use a net to get her in? And I already put in some medicine, should I put in more? And what is IAL?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #5 
candymoon

She is sitting upright now! But I also don't have any water at room temperature...what should I do about that? It also looks like she has a bunch of silver stuff in her stomach....
Old 12-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Personally, I wouldn't use the Bettafix medication-

Tannins-IAL (Indian almond leaf) usually you have to get this online.
I use naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf-about 20 crushed per gallon of water. The leaves need to steep for at least 30min to start the release of the tannins. The longer they steep- the more tannin released- the darker the water -the better for the Betta.
The tannins have antibacterial/fungal properties and can help ease stress.

You can adjust the water at the tap for the correct temp-be sure and use an independent thermometer to check the water temp. The extreme, sudden temp swings can be stressful if not deadly on a compromised Betta.
Be sure and use double dose on the dechlorinator.

If you bought her in one of those small temporary cups with a lid-these work great for a QT-but anything small, shallow will work that can be floated (attached) in the heated tank.

Good luck....
Old 12-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #7 
candymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Personally, I wouldn't use the Bettafix medication-

Tannins-IAL (Indian almond leaf) usually you have to get this online.
I use naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf-about 20 crushed per gallon of water. The leaves need to steep for at least 30min to start the release of the tannins. The longer they steep- the more tannin released- the darker the water -the better for the Betta.
The tannins have antibacterial/fungal properties and can help ease stress.

You can adjust the water at the tap for the correct temp-be sure and use an independent thermometer to check the water temp. The extreme, sudden temp swings can be stressful if not deadly on a compromised Betta.
Be sure and use double dose on the dechlorinator.

If you bought her in one of those small temporary cups with a lid-these work great for a QT-but anything small, shallow will work that can be floated (attached) in the heated tank.

Good luck....
I don't have either of those. Is there anything else I can use to help with that? And I already put the Betta Fix in...
Also, can I use a net to get her into the cup? I just don't want that stress to kill her....and she is now floating with her tail in the air and face on the gravel.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Yes, use the net to move her to the QT-be sure and wet it first.

You don't have any Oak trees near by....
Old 12-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #9 
candymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Yes, use the net to move her to the QT-be sure and wet it first.

You don't have any Oak trees near by....
No, only pines. Okay, I'll get that ready. Thank you...I'm so scared she might already be dead. D: