Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #1 
CharlotteBendi

Question Vicious Filter

Ribbon's fin was recently destroyed because of the strong current produced by my aquarium's filter. Anyone recommend any betta-safe filters? Please reply if so.
Today I am going to petco to get shrimp for ribbon to promote his fin growth.
Anything I should pick up while I'm there?
CharlotteBendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

What's your tank size? I'm sorry for the accident..
Sponge filters are best for long finned fish as there is no intake. How does shrimp promote healthy fin growth? And maybe some aquarium salt. It helps the fins and prevents infections. Remember, aquarium salt. Not epsom or marine, just aquarium.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #3 
pittipuppylove

+1 on the sponge filters.

But if you're more interested in a HOB-type filter, the Marina Slim filters are really nice. I have three Slim s10's on three seperate 5 gallon betta tanks and they have been great - two of the three don't even need to be baffled on the output (the third is for a very heavily finned dumbo halfmoon) and they come with a prefilter sponge. The AquaClears are great, too; many consider them to be the old workhorse of the aquarium trade as they have an adjustable flow, are extremely customizable for filter media, and are built to last ages. However, the smallest AquaClear is rated for 20 gallons and is therefore rather large for most betta tanks under 10 gallons.

Last edited by pittipuppylove; 12-29-2012 at 02:57 PM.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #4 
aemaki09

+1 to lebron!

I'd recommend a sponge filter too, but if you cant find one since they arent very popular with anyone besides betta keepers and fish breeders, then look for one with adjustable flow, and get some filter floss/sponge to put into the intake and outflow if the current is still too much even with low flow on.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #5 
bryanacute

If you can't get a sponge filter, take pantyhose and fit the strip around the mouth.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #6 
Fishybitty

I use http://www.walmart.com/ip/Regent-For...-1-ct/10313136 on my 10 gallon. You can pull up on the intake tube and it makes it a wimpy current. My betta does fine with this. I own three of these, plus the cartridges aren't breaking the bank.
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter currents, fin tearing, help me figure it out, strong filter