Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

Bloated, floating Betta! ES isn't helping..

I've already posted a thread last Thursday when I started the Epsom salt treatments. His temp is staying between 79-80 and he's in a bare bottom hospital tank with his squidward tiki house and one silk plant so he has places to rest. He's been in Epsom salt since Thursday. After a day he was able to swim towards the bottom of the tank but has since gotten worse. The last few times I checked on him he was just laying in the window of his tiki house sideways and it looked like one of his eyes was pointing downwards and the other one upwards...

At first he was just slightly bloated and he's floating uncontrollably and laying on his side at the surface. He has troubles moving and turning around. His eyes also look a little swollen. His belly is kinda white, probably because of the bloat, and his gills have a shiny gold on them. When I approach the tank he comes up to me and just lays on his side with his face into the side of the tank. I've also noticed white spots on his face appear a few days ago and I fasted him but his belly seems to get bigger and smaller on and off... I've seen his poo at least twice and earlier today noticed some white thing floating in the tank. I am unsure if this was poo or not... He attacked the one pellet I gave him last night so at least he's still eating..

All I have is Epsom Salt and he's been in it since Thursday. He's getting worse. Most medications are not available locally so I would have to order it online and I'm afraid it wouldn't be soon enough. We have a Walmart in town but that's it... I don't know if this is internal organ failure, fungus, internal parasites or what! He just seems to be struggling so much i feel so bad, he's getting more and more lethargic. He does seem like he wants to get better, though.

I don't know what I should do :( my resources ATM are so limited and I don't know what is wrong with him!

Side note: when I feed my other Betta, he is so interested in my hand its like he doesn't notice the food and it eventually sinks... I don't know if he's just distracted or if he completely ignores it... A lot of times he will swim up to it so its directly between his eyes, then he'll turn around without touching it. Before he was like my other Betta and aggrssively attacked it.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #2 
callistra

What color was his poop? Can you take a picture of the white thing?

I know you had him on malachite green for a month.. His system may just be really worn out from all that medication, and due to that I'm a little hesitant to medicate further.. but it sounds like he needs something. The gentlest and most effective internal antibiotic is Kanaplex, but it can be hard to find. I would use the phone book or yellowpages.com to call around and see if you can come up with it. Maracyn Plus has potential to help this but it's a whole heck of a lot more stressful. Furan 2 also has some potential. If you can find none of those regular Maracyn (erythromycin) has some potential, but it's very limited compared to the three previous mentioned ones.

Last edited by callistra; 12-17-2012 at 11:57 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

Hmm.. I wasn't the one who used Malachite green but I did have Quick Cure on hand and decided not to use it. I live in a pretty small town with not a lot of fish enthusiasts. The only reason we have a Walmart is because the town is located right on the interstate. I wouldn't know where to start. Do you know what it could be? I'm afraid that the fastest way to get it would be to order it online. I've seen some of those really expensive like $60 medications and I'm also afraid I don't have that much to spend.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:04 AM   #4 
callistra

Sorry too much posting in this forum lately got you mixed up :)

Kanaplex will run you maybe $10 and that's including shipping. No worries on that. The bloat that comes and goes regardless of food is indicating a strong internal infection. Now it could be parasite in nature or bacterial but since he's not skinny and it's moving quickly I'd put anything on bacterial at this point. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=24795 Walmart may carry Furan 2 and Maracyn if you don't feel he can wait.

Last edited by callistra; 12-18-2012 at 12:07 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

Thank you! I will order that as soon as possible and go take a look at what Walmart has and pray its not too late....