Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #1 
Spyro the Dragon Inked

Betta fish has a spot on his head.

I bought a male betta fish from Petsupermarket last night. I noticed when I was looking at him that he had a spot on his head. My boyfriend said that it was most likely just a different color spot on him. I took him home because he warmed my heart. When I got home I took pictures. What would you say it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91318225@N03/
Spyro the Dragon Inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #2 
callistra

That's probably not normal. It could be the start of a fungus or columnaris or he may have scraped his head on something.. To treat conservatively, add 1 tsp per gallon predissolved aquarium salt to his water. Make sure to keep it very clean.. Water change procedures are here depending on size: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=66595 That general forum also has a lot of stickies on care, in case you might be new to this :)

You can treat for up to 10 days so long as it doesn't get any worse. If it starts to get worse or it's not gone by 10 days I'd try Kanaplex by Seachem.

Good luck! Overall he looks healthy :)
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote