Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #1 
ammv193

Unhappy Please Help: Is my betta baby just stressed or could he be sick?

I'm worried about my little guy. When I first got him he just swam normally through his tank and blew bubble nests every day. A week later I changed his water and now its been almost two weeks with no bubble nests and spasm-like behavior.

He's in a 1Gallon tank, I usually leave the light on from 4pm through 10pm.
I give him three betta pellets in the morning and two at night.
I use the water conditioning fizz tabs when I change his water.
His water temperature is always around 78 F.

I was advised to put in a moss ball in order to maintain the algae content low in his tank so I bought one and put it in when I changed his water a week and a half after getting him. It has been 3 weeks since I got him. I'm thinking the moss ball is what changed his behavior? I just took the moss ball out today but I'm still worried about him...might he need a heater? or could he be just stressed?
I posted a video of his behavior on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOJYZCUqUfE
ammv193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #2 
DragonFish

The behavior on the video looks very normal to me. Bettas will often swim like then when you approach/are near the tank.....they're trying to get your attention in the hopes that you will feed them. ;) He probably has just finally started getting used to you/recognizing you as the one with food.
Bubble nests aren't really a sign of happiness, nor an indication of anything in particular. Its an instinctive behavior that males, and even some females, do when they are at the proper age for breeding and to mark their territory. Its nor uncommon for bettas to make a nest or two and then stop nesting all together, or to never nest at all. It just depends on the fish.

Over all he looks very lovely and healthy to me, but I did notice some things in your setup you may want to address to make sure nothing does go wrong in the future...
In a 1 gallon tank, you should be doing more frequent water changes. I'd say at least 2 50%s and 1 100% per week. Also, I would suggest looking into a 2-2.5+ gallon upgrade in the near future(in the next few months or so)as bettas are very active and intelligent fish that need and enjoy a nice amount of space to swim and explore. That extra 1-1.5 gallons even really does make a difference IMO/E

Also, I've never been a fan of those fizzy tabs and always question their effectiveness....I'd suggest picking up a good liquid conditioner like Seachem Prime instead.

When you say 'around 78', does the temperature fluctuate? And if so, how much regularly? If its more then a degree or two throughout the night/day, I would highly suggest investing in good adjustable heater to keep things nice and stable.
But if you live in a place where your tank stays about 78-80 constantly year round....well, probably no need for a heater then.

Moss balls really don't do anything for algae or the like....they're pretty much just like any other decoration. Not that it will harm anything, just letting you know.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #3 
aemaki09

I think he might have some sort of parasite judging by the quirky way he is moving and rubbing on things. But while I have kept betta for years, I dont have much experience with illness so wait for someone who knows a little more to tell you what exactly is going on.
But you definitely need a heater. He needs a temperature of 76-82. Even if your water stayed at that temp during the day the night causes a major drop.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #4 
DragonFish

I highly doubt parasites honestly....hes not flashing or rubbing on anything, and hes not swimming in short jerky bursts and then resting and breathing heavily.
Honestly, just about every single one of my healthy happy bettas displays this behavior to some degree, some more enthusiastically like this guy and others a little more mellow, but I'd definitely say it looks like the normal 'feed me' dance. ;)
Old 12-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #5 
ammv193

Thanks guysss!!! I appreciate the replies, can you tell I'm a beginner? ;)
ammv193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #6 
DragonFish

You're very welcome. :)
Haha, just a little bit. But if you don't know exactly what to look for, things can be a little scary and alarming at first.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #7 
emeraldmaster

Yeah i agree... He is beautiful by the way, cambodian is my favirate pattern! I have a veil that does this, though not as enthused as your's does! You have a active and healthy betta and i congradulate you on your hard work and care in keeping him that way. It is always safer to ask a question than to not know!
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #8 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldmaster View Post
Yeah i agree... He is beautiful by the way, cambodian is my favirate pattern! I have a veil that does this, though not as enthused as your's does! You have a active and healthy betta and i congradulate you on your hard work and care in keeping him that way. It is always safer to ask a question than to not know!
Hes a Red Dragon. ;)
Old 12-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #9 
emeraldmaster

looks cambodian, that's close enough for me to drool over. now though i do have to steam clean the puddle i have caused up before i have to swim out of it! he is just too adorable!!!
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #10 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldmaster View Post
looks cambodian, that's close enough for me to drool over. now though i do have to steam clean the puddle i have caused up before i have to swim out of it! he is just too adorable!!!
Lol, it is a similar pattern as, like a Cambodian, the dragon scaling is only on the body and stops at the fins. They are very different though.
He is indeed absolutely lovely, I do agree with you there. I have a very special place in my heart for dragons, they're definitely my favorite. <3