Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #1 
rafa2k

My setup

I set up the 10g tank and started the cycle roughly two weeks ago. This is going to be a sorority for my 5yo daughter. So tonight I went and bought 5 females at Petsmart, put them all in QT.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

I would have like to put the pictures inline, but don't know how
Attached Images

rafa2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #2 
sandybottom
Reference Team

nice diy filter. you been watchin youtube? lol. i made one out of a small tums bottle. i think more hiding spots and some more plants and you're there. i always wanted to start a sorority, and see if they would take to small cichlid rocks.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #3 
rafa2k

Thanks, do you have suggestions for hiding spots?

Yes that filter is straight from Joey's DIY on YouTube :) It looks really cool in motion
Old 12-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #4 
Nothingness

Small terracotta pots work well...maybe some rocks and def more plants which provide cover incase a chase or 2 ensues in the tank. And also a tank takes upward of 2 months to cycle...Just be aware that you will be doing an fish in cycle once you add those ladies in there. Be sure to research this method properly while its cycling to keep a bunch of happy ladies.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #5 
registereduser

Nice choice of fishlets, very pretty!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #6 
aemaki09

Your going to want more cover in there. What I have in my 26g sorority is a ton of plants and a piece of driftwood with some java moss and java fern attached to it. It works perfectly. My suggestion is to cover about 70% of the substrate and have floating plants for cover while they are at the top and you will be just fine! Plus the live plants help with cycling and keeps water quality pretty good without the tank being cycled, which I assume yours will not be when you add the girls.
Just a suggestion, good luck!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #7 
rafa2k

Thanks so much for the suggestions everyone. I like the terracotta pots idea. I am definitely planning to get more plants. I got all the plants petsmart had at the moment. I wanted to get some pvc pipe and build a obstacle course type pattern in the middle and cover the pvc with Java Fern. Not finding any JF anywhere though.

Does anyone have any suggestions for ordering plants online?
Old 12-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #8 
aemaki09

Aquabid from mikeswetpets. That's where I got most of mine he's great and plants always look good!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #9 
babystarz

Yeah mikeswetpets is great. I also have ordered from these people and had a great experience: http://www.aquariumplants.com/

Some frogbit for surface cover would be fantastic. Anacharis can also float or be planted (or both at the same time when it gets really long!) and it's a good oxygenator so it'll suck up ammonia very efficiently. My fish love terra cotta pots and driftwood caves with the entrances planted (see my avatar lol).
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #10 
Silverfang

I see a pair of CT girls! Extra jealous!

But you've been given good advice, more plants, and some hide outs. Driftwood, terracotta pots, PVC pipe pieces work well too! Some people will use mugs or glasses turned on their side.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote