Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #1 
Xaltd1

Salt in NPT?!

I finally corrected my substrate, planted the plants, put the sand substrate in place in my new 29 gallon tank... it took me hours. My back is a wreck.
I transferred some gravel/plants/decor from my established tanks. I added Betta-specific water treatment; a bit of dried fish food, Stress-Zyme, Biozyme, and 3 tablets of Ph 7 tablets. BUT....thinking I was doing the right thing, I also added 3 teaspoons of aquarium salt.
Then I re-read some of my NPT material- apparently salt will kill my plants?! Do I have to start all over again???
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #2 
callistra

You don't want to put ph adjusters in anything you use with fish because they're temporary and will only cause lots of swings which are really hard on fish. Your betta can adjust to almost any ph between 6.5-8.6 or so. What is the natural ph of your water?

You don't need both stresszyme and biozyme..It's intention is the same, which is to supply live bb to jump start your cycle. I'm not sure either will really help though. The only kind I've found to really work have been Dr. Tim's One and Only, but other people may tell you different. What water conditioner do you use? You need something that removes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals..

You also don't want to use salt with freshwater fish, unless you're treating them for a specific disease, and then you only want to do it for 2 weeks or less.

Yes, salt kills plants.. you don't want to use it with plants at all..

Last edited by callistra; 12-31-2012 at 02:43 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #3 
babystarz

Yeah no salt in an NPT, if you need to treat fish for illness always move the fish to 1 gal hospital tanks so you won't get any medication residue hanging out in the tank. It's the easiest way to keep the NPT water healthy.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #4 
Xaltd1

Groan- so I have to change all the water again??? There are no fish in there yet. At this rate, there never will be...:0(
Old 12-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #5 
callistra

I'm sorry, yeah I'd start over.. Don't use the ph adjusters, choose one source of bb, don't use salt, and make sure you have an actual water conditioner in there.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #6 
Xaltd1

P. S. I tossed all this stuff in w/o fish; I just powered up the filter & am letting it cycle, fishless. My tap water (even treated) tends to be hard; that's why I added the Ph tabs. So they're useless? Why do they sell them?
Old 12-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #7 
callistra

They sell them because it's something else to make money off of? IDK. What's the ph of your tap water?

To cycle fishless you'll need a drops kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and a source of ammonia. Fish food works, but personally I really like use bottles of pure ammonia from Ace Hardware and it's a lot less messy and way easier to control/more accurate dosing.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #8 
Xaltd1

What's an "actual" water conditioner?
Old 12-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #9 
callistra

Something that says it removes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals.. I didn't see anything in your list that would do that.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #10 
Xaltd1

What does?