Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #1 
asukabetta

Ah Ich, we meet again - need tips -

I hate ich, stupid stupid ich!!! gaaaaaaaaarhhhhhgggggg

Rant over, Well this is my second time treating Ich off a betta, I'm using the same steps as I did last time as I sucessfully cured it like that.

I put him in a QT tank and main tank is being disinfected, live plants quarantined (I heard if the ich cannot find a fish host they will eventually die off in a few weeks), mean time I raised the temperature steadily to 82F so far, medicating with anti-parasitical and performing 100% water changes. however, I'm a little scared now.

It's been only a day since the treatment began and Kiyohime is lethargic now, he eats normally but is not as responsive as he usually is, he wriggles around to say hi to me and such and Instead hides behind the heater. And i'm wondering if it is the medication and I should instead go for a conservative treatment or if Ich itself is causing it.

The dots are growing which I know is what is supposed to happen as they need to grow, and reproduce in water later (free swim). Then get killed and removed with water changes.

And perhaps because the ich cycle is accelerated due to temperature its making him lethargic.

I'm not sure because I don't remember how Cheshire acted, I think Cheshire was more advanced so he spent most of his time trying to rub himself on decor...

Last edited by asukabetta; 12-18-2012 at 12:10 PM.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #2 
shellieca

I'm fighting a battle with ich right now too, bought a new girl on Sunday & could see she had ich. Anyway, I'm going the heat & salt route, she looked much better this morning hoping she continues to improve. Good luck with your guy.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #3 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
I'm fighting a battle with ich right now too, bought a new girl on Sunday & could see she had ich. Anyway, I'm going the heat & salt route, she looked much better this morning hoping she continues to improve. Good luck with your guy.
thanks !!! good luck too! I may go the conservative salt route too soon, if my betta doesn't react better to the treatment I guess all bettas are different... though I dunno is lethargic normal?
Old 12-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #4 
DiiQue

Whats the temp of the qt tank? I remember when I battled that stupid bug that when I noticed my little guy being lethargic in day 2 or 3 I put my hand inside to nudge him a little and noticed the water at the bottom was ice cold, while the water at the top was nice and warm. I had a heater in there and because i could only place it a certain way, the heat just rose and stayed at the top. My poor guy was staying at the bottom, where the cool water was. Dont know if you have the same case but worth checking out.

Also, he may be lethargic due to the medication.. Not sure but also worth the consideration.

Good luck! I lost the battle (first time) but learned from the experience and was able to win when It reared its ugly head again (kept the little guy in his regular tank).
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #5 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiQue View Post
Whats the temp of the qt tank? I remember when I battled that stupid bug that when I noticed my little guy being lethargic in day 2 or 3 I put my hand inside to nudge him a little and noticed the water at the bottom was ice cold, while the water at the top was nice and warm. I had a heater in there and because i could only place it a certain way, the heat just rose and stayed at the top. My poor guy was staying at the bottom, where the cool water was. Dont know if you have the same case but worth checking out.

Also, he may be lethargic due to the medication.. Not sure but also worth the consideration.

Good luck! I lost the battle (first time) but learned from the experience and was able to win when It reared its ugly head again (kept the little guy in his regular tank).
he's at now 85F. He's a bit more active now, still lethargic tho, after a water change.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #6 
sunlight

Not sure why he is lethargic it can be both due to the ich and temperature. Some bettas are sensitive to the temperature. If you treating with same medications that help your betta before i guess continue. 82* is fine. A lot of the time when you treat with aq salt you can raise the temp even up to 86*. But every time when you raise it you should do it gradually about 1-2* in an hour or two.
Remember to wash in hot water and completely dry out all changing equipment that you are using for him to kill ich. And yes you are right without host ich dies. So it very easy to quarantine the plants and disaffect the equipment. Just also need to dry it out. Of course for the plants just quarantine for a few weeks in the water with NO water conditioner just enough.
Good luck guys keep us updated.
Also introduce betta to the new water slowly, give him time to acclimate. And if you will use aq salt use minimum of 2tsp/gall.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:38 AM   #7 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
Not sure why he is lethargic it can be both due to the ich and temperature. Some bettas are sensitive to the temperature. If you treating with same medications that help your betta before i guess continue. 82* is fine. A lot of the time when you treat with aq salt you can raise the temp even up to 86*. But every time when you raise it you should do it gradually about 1-2* in an hour or two.
Remember to wash in hot water and completely dry out all changing equipment that you are using for him to kill ich. And yes you are right without host ich dies. So it very easy to quarantine the plants and disaffect the equipment. Just also need to dry it out. Of course for the plants just quarantine for a few weeks in the water with NO water conditioner just enough.
Good luck guys keep us updated.
Also introduce betta to the new water slowly, give him time to acclimate. And if you will use aq salt use minimum of 2tsp/gall.

thats as always sunlight :D And oops! the plants are with conditioner, I'll change that lol.

Kiyohime is much better, I reduce the concentration of the medicine, it was my bad, I calculated the dosage wrong, it's not 1ml for 6 Litres, but it is 0,6ml for 6L. >_> derp derp.

Kiyohime has forgiven me, after I have him some frozen blood worms (which I am allergic to, but I decided to treat him)
Old 12-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #8 
sunlight

Hey i just was going to see how you doing and found this post. I hope he will get better. Let us know. I wish you just relax and enjoy them.
Obviously you are using gloves for the blood worms...be careful don't get sick yourself :) Good luck, give us update.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #9 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
Hey i just was going to see how you doing and found this post. I hope he will get better. Let us know. I wish you just relax and enjoy them.
Obviously you are using gloves for the blood worms...be careful don't get sick yourself :) Good luck, give us update.
Lol thanks XD My bettas are always like this XD the only one behaving is my female betta Natsuki. She's fat looking and with breeding stripes atm. lol. It's cause of all those eggs. Eros is fine, I wish he stopped tail biting-- though he's very skittish lately so I'm keeping an eye on that-- you never know and with my luck it could be something Q_Q. He started an AQ treatment because he was getting red sores on his tail... sigh..

Kiyohime's ich is almost gone but I'm extending the treatment 5 more days (like recommended on the instructions) then having him in AQ salt.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #10 
callistra

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Just want to point out if his main tank is cycled the cycle will crash and the bb will die if you don't feed it so be aware when you add him back you'll want to check parameters and you may need to continue to do so and recycle - unless you feed it while he's out.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote