Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #1 
Cattwalker

I know my fish is sick but I'm not sure what from and what to do now. Please help.

Housing
What size is your tank? Using a rubbermaid 2 gallon container as a "hospital" tank
What temperature is your tank? It's 66 right now
Does your tank have a filter?no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated?no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon betta food pellets (but he hasnt eaten in 2-3 days)
How often do you feed your betta fish? everyday- 3 times a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Topfin water conditioner/dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He looks puffy and he may have a swollen abdomen.. My fiance thinks his scales have a pinecone appearance
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's not eating, flaring or being his usual social self. He twitches and seems to struggle to get to the surface
When did you start noticing the symptoms? friday i noticed him struggling to reach the surface, darting into things, having a hard time being buoyant and noticed swelling on one side by his fin. suspected it was sbd but now im afraid its dropsy also/instead..
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? only by putting him in a shallower tank
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? we got him from petsmart about 5-6 months ago. He wasnt a baby but looked young
Id like to send you a couple pictures of him as well but Im not sure where to send them. Thank you
Cattwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #2 
shellieca

Sorry he's not feeling well. What is his normal tank environment; size, filtered, heated, tankmates, water change schedule? First he desperately needs a heater, his water should be 76-80F, 66F is WAY too cold. You can add some epsom salt (no additives/perfumes), dissovled in a glass of tank water, to help with the bloating/swelling but if he is pine coning it is RARE they survive it & if they do it will come back typically withing 6 months. Have you seen any poo? What did it look like?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #3 
Cattwalker

Thank you for replying so quickly. I saw some poo on Sunday and it was brown and stringy.
I have 3 pictures I'd like to send you but I cant attach them to this message. Is there anywhere else I can send them?
Old 12-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #4 
Cattwalker

Here are 3 pics from this morning
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #5 
Cattwalker

Oh, and he was red when I bought him..
Old 12-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #6 
shellieca

They can & do change color, so that's not always something to worry about. From the pics you've posted I would say he has the early stages of dropsy & this is unfortunately fatal, as I stated before they can recover for a short period of time but it will return. I know 1st hand, I recently lost one of my females to it. Epsom salt will help with fluid build up & if you want to get really aggressive there are meds you can try with no guarantee. I'm sorry I don't have much to offer, someone else may be able to offer more.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #7 
Cattwalker

Thank you for your help. I'm heartbroken and kind of in shock right now but at least I don't feel so helpless.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #8 
Jessa24

He looks like he has dropsy...that sucks. And I am sorry. You can try to help him but it may be all to no avail and might just prolong his agony. You can euthanize him if he doesn't get better soon...it's probably most humane.

I don't know what he is usually kept in but it's important to have his tank heated. Good luck
Jessa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #9 
callistra

He's definitely swollen.

Bettas really cannot be kept that cold. He needs a heater if your house is keeping the water that cool. A good adjustable one like a 25w Marineland Visitherm would work. Part of his condition is possibly due to this. Along with the heater you would need a good class in tank thermometer (not the sticky stuff on the ousdie as they will be inaccurate). You will also need to acclimate him to warmer water very slowly, only raising it a degree or two per hour and probably only maybe 5 degrees a day. Set the heater low, then slowly click it up until it just comes on, then continue to click it up slowly.

In the meantime he need epsom salts at 1 tsp per gallon predissolved. They must be pure with no additives as per the ingredients label. CVS Pharmacy carries some but you can usually find them at your local grocery store in the pharmacy section. I would also treat with a good internal going antibiotic (needs to be diluted for the size of your tank), like Kanaplex, Maracyn Plus or Furan 2.

How many pellets a day are you feeding?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote