Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #1 
IshyNbibbit

My fish hates me...

All of sudden, every time I go say hi to him he flares at me! He was so friendly and chill the first two weeks and now not so much. My fish has hurt my feelings...lol! Could he be sick?
IshyNbibbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

Sorry I kind of laughed when I read this.
Are you wearing black? My Betta always flared at me at first. He still tries attacking my fingers but I think he likes me a little more because he realized he gets food from me. I always hold my fingers above the water for awhile before dropping the food as he gets familiar with my fingers.

It's possible that he's just really aggressive. Some of them are. He could be being territorial of his tank. Has anything been changed recently? It's just part of his personality most likely so it's nothing to worry about. He should learn to like you when he associates you with food.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #3 
IshyNbibbit

I'm kinda laughing about it too! I've never seen a betta flare. Last night was the first time and I had stuck my finger in his tank to check something and I think I might have scared him, but now every time I just go up and start my usual fishy greeting he flares.

My hubby picked him out because he said he looked like a "sith" (bad guy on Star Wars game) so maybe he's just living up to that now.
IshyNbibbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah he may have been being territorial after you put your finger in the tank and he hasn't forgot about it yet :p he will likely learn to trust you. Flaring is very normal though. They are naturally aggressive.

Excessive flaring can cause his tail to rip in half sometimes, though, but if that happens it will heal with clean warm water in a few days. I'm thinking he will calm down like mine did after a few days.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #5 
sainthogan

My girl does a tiny flare at me, almost like a greeting when I come near the tank. It's very different than what she does when she sees another Betta, then she has a full flare and gets very aggressive.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #6 
Viva

Hahahaha, what a silly betta! Hes definitely not sick, a sick betta most likely wouldn't feel good enough to flare and possibly start a fight! He is just very healthy and loves his home, so hes protecting it with all his might!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #7 
horsyqueen

All my new betta start of by flaring at basicly nothing. Nephy used to flare at me now hes very tame.
horsyqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #8 
Jessa24

He is just protecting his territory. I am sure he's not sick. This was so funny because my fish hates my hubby, I swear he does. The minute my son or I come up to his tank he wiggles over to us and the second my hubby comes over to say hi he turns around and ignores him...like giving him the cold shoulder.
Jessa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #9 
Jessa24

Today is fasting day for Splash...I went over and put my finger in his tank...he came over looked at it and then looked at me like "that ain't food"...I was afraid he'd bite me...lol...bettas are so funny.
Jessa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

I have a sick Betta ATM and he still flares if I let him see my other Betta so it's not necessarily a sign of being healthy. He's been bloated and bouyant since Thursday and he can hardly swim (maybe a bacterial infection) but will still flare at other bettas.