Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #1 
JikoJiko

Exclamation I think my Male Betta is Depressed...

Hello... everyone... I think my Male Betta is depressed..

Water temp: 73-74 F
PH: 6.3-6.4
(he does show signs of pooping, not stringy)
Nitrite: IDK
Nitrate: IDK
Ammonia: Prob low because I changed his waters a day ago.. not sure though.
Tank Size: 2.5 Gallon
Food: New Life Spectrum Flakes and Cobalt Shrimp Pellets
Heater: NO
Filter: no
Medications: Dechlorinated water
Pinch of aquarium salt

WELL.....

Decorations and tank mates: Live Floating Green Rotala
Malaysian Trumpet snails
Oak leaves
NO airstone

All he really does is stay at the top of the water and just float there... or .... he stays at the bottom of the tank and just floats down there unless he needs air, then he swims up to get air.

HE has been acting like this ever since a month ago after I took him out from his fry tank....
The same thing happened to another male Betta before... But that guy recovered with out much help from me...

This male betta seems to be going on forever.. ever since a Month ago... he as been like this.... He is also skinny and bones. sometimes he will eat the NEw Life Spectrum flakes... and also eat dried bloodworms...But usually doesn't show a difference in his attitude.

Um... I don't have pictures of him right now... Just imagine a Male Imbellis/Plakat Betta that has a very slender body that does not move.

I hope you guys can help me with this... !!!
JikoJiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

His water temperature is a bit low. It would be helpful to have your exact water parameters since you can't tell just by looking at the tank what they are going to be.

I do know males can get depressed when removed from their fry tank. However, you saying he is skin and bones and refusing to eat could be a sign of internal parasites.

Have you tried live foods such as white worms, brine shrimp, blackworms (people on here give them a bad wrap but they are a very popular food here in Oz and I use them almost daily on my fish)? Live foods are great at getting finicky eaters back onto food. Few fish can resist something wriggling right in front of it.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #3 
sainthogan

He's too cold for starters, he should be at about 78 degrees. Also, how often do you change his water.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #4 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
His water temperature is a bit low. It would be helpful to have your exact water parameters since you can't tell just by looking at the tank what they are going to be.

I do know males can get depressed when removed from their fry tank. However, you saying he is skin and bones and refusing to eat could be a sign of internal parasites.

Have you tried live foods such as white worms, brine shrimp, blackworms (people on here give them a bad wrap but they are a very popular food here in Oz and I use them almost daily on my fish)? Live foods are great at getting finicky eaters back onto food. Few fish can resist something wriggling right in front of it.
okay.. thanks... I'm thinking of putting him in a 1 gallon jar inside my 10 gallon fry tank for the temp thingy.. untill I get him his own heater...

Well with foods... he does eat... sometimes... there was this one time I starved him and them he ate like normal.. eating everysingle day and pooping... but for some weird reason he went back on starving himself... I do think he has some internal Parasites... ITs like a 60% that he has some... When ever I give him live food... like when I first got him... he immediately denied flakes and pellets afterwards. That is why I try not giving him too much live food... I also did try weening him back to flakes and pellets for a month before and yet he still denied it... then because I wanted to breed him I kept feeding him Mosquito Larvae and Live bloodworms... then after that the whole Diet starving thing never ended.... He still accepts flakes and pellets.. but not so gradually.. he accepts it whenever he is starving that is all... not an everyday food exception.

And yeh... I do need to go out and get a test kit... for the Ammonia levels and etc... Thanks for you concern and suggestions Though. : )
Old 12-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #5 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
He's too cold for starters, he should be at about 78 degrees. Also, how often do you change his water.
Well... like before post.. I am thinking of placing him in a 1 gallon jar inside the fry tank untill he gets his own heater.. should that be fine...?

Fry tank temp is 79

Oh.. And I change his water atleast every saturday when I try changing the rest... So like almost every weekend...
Atmost 40 % because I don't want the PH to change drastically.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #6 
Myates

Low water temps can cause lethargy, lack of eating and slow metabolism - fry do best and is recommended to be in temps of 82 - 84* - lower temps would cause them some health issues such as lowered immunity. Recommended to raise the fry tank temp, and to get him his own heater and set it to 78-80+ depending upon how old he is.

With snails in that small of a tank you definitely want to be doing plenty of water changes as they produce a great amount of ammonia. If your tank is filtered then you will want to be doing 50% water change twice a week - with siphoning of the substrate once a week. That is the recommended for a normal tank, and a tank with a very young fish you definitely want to be doing that, possibly even adding in another 25 - 50% per week until he is about 4-5+ months old to prevent the hormone that stunts their growth from building up. Being so young they need really clean water.
With a tank with NO filter you will need to be doing 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week - that is a need for tanks that size with no filter. Add in another 50% per week since he is very young and since you have snails.

My personal suggestion would be to remove the snails, do 2 50% and 1 100% water changes per week with water conditioner, and raising the temp to 80 - 82* in his home tank. Young bettas need extra care to be healthy... it sounds as if improper temperature and water changes are causing him to decline in health quickly. Young ones aren't as hardy as adults.

Don't worry about changing the pH drastically, as since it is from the same water source it shouldn't be that big of a difference. If you are worried about that then you can remove him and place him in a cup, change the water, then float him in the tank removing about 25% of the water from the cup and replace it with water from the tank - do that 4 times about 5-10 mins apart and he will then adjust to the new chemistry. But normally when doing 50% water changes, you don't have to worry about the pH difference.

Good luck!

Last edited by Myates; 12-19-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #7 
Geomancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JikoJiko View Post
Hello... everyone... I think my Male Betta is depressed..

Water temp: 73-74 F
He's not a goldfish, he needs a heater

Quote:
PH: 6.3-6.4
Perfect

Quote:
Nitrite: IDK
Nitrate: IDK
Ammonia: Prob low because I changed his waters a day ago.. not sure though.
Get a test kit, cheapest is online.

Quote:
Tank Size: 2.5 Gallon
I'd be depressed living in the equivalent of a small room too. 5g+ is better for numerous reasons, not just space.

Quote:
Food: New Life Spectrum Flakes and Cobalt Shrimp Pellets
Good

Quote:
Heater: NO
Buy one.

Quote:
Filter: no
Fine if there are enough live plants, but with just a couple stems floating you need the exra surface area for bacteria in such a small tank.

Quote:
Medications: Dechlorinated water
Pinch of aquarium salt
Stop using salt on a fresh water fish.

Quote:
Decorations and tank mates: Live Floating Green Rotala
Malaysian Trumpet snails
Oak leaves
NO airstone
This is fine.

Now for the harsh statement, but sometimes it is best to not sugar coat the truth. If you can not afford a proper 'house' you shouldn't have him to being with, let alone breeding them (I assume as you said fry tank). It's not fair to them, and they have no control over their environmnet. Their entire lives and the quality of their life are completely in your control, and you have the responsability to provide for them, for their survival ... and death.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #8 
Myates

Oh good catch Geo, I didn't see the Aquarium Salt.. yikes, poor little guy :(

No one here is looking down upon you, we are just wanting to make sure your little guy is taken care of and healthy for you. Since you asked what was wrong with him, well, it's his care that is causing health problems. Hopefully this will help you learn to care a bit for him better and he will recover and live happy and healthy for you.

On a side note - the size of the tank is fine, as long as you are doing the proper water changes. Sizes of tanks are a more personal preference. But not disagreeing that a 5g would be a great home :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #9 
txbettaowner

I agree with what geomancer and Myates has sad but once a week is not enough water changes. I got told that once a week is not enough. I also had 2 bettas in a 1.5 gallon tank. Water changes I did after were every other day and they were full water changes. Since then I have bought a 10 gallon tank with a filter and heater and I also got 4 more bettas. I only use the 1.5 gallon now for a sick tank. I use aquarium salt in both tanks but my 10 gallon (once a week) doesn't get changed as often as my 1.5 gallon (every day). I also put stress coat in both tanks when the 1.5 is occupied. I think you should do the same. Stress coat would make your male less stressed. But I am not an expert like Myates is which listen to her. She helped me out a lot. I love my bettas but I don't plan on breeding them until we move and I have enough room for a 20 gallon tank or more. Go look at my tank if you wish.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #10 
txbettaowner

Also my 10 gallon aquarium stays at a constant 78 to 80 degrees.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote