Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #1 
Devina

How to LOWER tank temp?

Noticed my little guy was swimming a little erratically, and right now unfortunately (thanks to PetSmart not having competent people)I don't have the supplies to check water specs or anything. The only thing I can even really check up on is the tank temperature. And I noticed it was floating at almost 85. I wish I'd known about ammonia and nitrates and nitrites and all of that at the time I bought him, but of course the people at PS told me I had all I needed.
I'm hoping it's just the higher temperature, any suggestions on how to get it down a few degrees?
Devina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Water change with the water just a little cooler. Plus if the tank is newly set up & filtered & you can't test the water, I'd do a 50% water change anyways. Do you have a lid on it? Open it or take it off. Is the light on? Turn it off. Put a little ice in a baggie & float it in the tank. I don't know what size tank you have but one of these should work.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #3 
Devina

It's an aqueon mini bow 1... that APPARENTLY is a 2 gallon at least, but it looks more like 1.5 to me. (Why is it the more I'm on this forum the angrier I am at PS for letting me walk out with it?) came with filter and hood. I'll try the water change thing, should get used to it anyway LOL
Old 12-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Yeah, the "aquarists" at most stores really are not knowledgable. I bought the same tank as you with my 1st Betta, he died 2-3 wks later. I had no clue about the filter being too much, cycling, heater required . . . I learned those lessons the hard way. Now I do as much research as possible before I go to the store. Now I only use the 1g or 2.5g for QT tanks.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #5 
Ilikebutterflies

I can't imagine 85 degrees being a problem. All my tanks are set at 86-88 degrees.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #6 
Devina

I've been considering forgoing the filter all day. I'll just keep up on the water changes. And he's already hurt himself on the "perfect betta plant" that came in it. I removed that right when I noticed. I'm hoping some money comes my way soon so I can actually take care of him.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #7 
Myates

85 isn't a bad temp - breeders tend to keep theirs at that temp. Bettas can survive and thrive up into the 90s. If you do do a water change with cooler water, you will want to remove him and then readjust him to the new temp - causing a sudden drop in temp while he is in the tank can put him into shock.

May want to see what wattage your heater is, or possibly turning it down if it is adjustable if you wish to lower the temp.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #8 
Devina

The horrible thing is, I haven't GOT a heater. It just got that hot naturally. I've been seeing most posts around here saying to keep it in the 78-80 range.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

I'd check the classifieds, craigs list, ebay or the like for a tank & equipment since money is an issue. I have seen MANY people get great deals from those places. I always keep an eye on Petsmart tank kits & buy when on sale because you get everything; filter, light hood & heater, some people say the equipment is crap but so far I've not had any issues with any of them. Petco from time to time has the $1 per gallon tank sale. If you can't purchase all at once, you can buy a little at a time, I've had to do that before as well.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #10 
Myates

That is what is common for tropical fish, 78, but not a must. As long as it's between 75 - 98, your betta will be fine.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote