Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #1 
stephnh

Best way for a betta to go on a car ride??

I'll be traveling a lot in the car over the break and I can tell my betta isn't a big fan of car rides.

In your experience, what's the best way to take your betta on long car rides?
stephnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

Many people do it differently. Some will transport them in a bag with plenty of air in it in an insulated box like you would during shipping. Others put them in small coolers insulated with a towel or something for stability. I've seen people use both their cups and bags for transporting. My newest Betta took a two hours car drive home in his cup in a paper bag and is still doing great :p then again, I wasn't driving so I was able to hold the bag so it didn't slosh around as much.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #3 
sainthogan

I traveled home with my girl from the pet store in her cup in the drink holder. It was about an hour and a half drive and she did just fine that way. Granted it was summer time, so it was warmer then.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

Shouldn't be a problem if your car is heated beforehand. It was cold when I got mine but I made surety car was nice and toasty before leaving.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #5 
Bcake86

I moved from NC to PA driving. Sent mine with my boyfriend in his cup and wrapped so he couldn't see out. He did just fine.
Bcake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:05 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

I took them from Alaska--->New York In January

For me, it wasn't so much the ride itself but the bitter cold, I'm talking like -40F plus high winds.

Since it was 2 weeks of travel time, I kept them in something that allowed them to get fresh air easily. Originally it was coffee cups but about 1/4 of the way - most froze and I had 4 left. I put them into betta cups and put the cups into one of those small rodent carriers (which was supposed to hold the chinchilla but I neded up leaving her in her 2 story cage for the move). I had it on my lap, under layers of blankets with the heat on full blast for the rest of the trip. And a very unhappy dog on the rest of my lap.

We only did 3 hotel stays in that time and I kept a storage bin with their supplies in the back seat. I only feed them one pellet every other day to cut down on waste production and had a syringe to remove poop from the cups.

How long of a trip and where are you located? Florida won't be so bad as say, minnestoa.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote