Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #11 
callistra

You're overstocked. That many fish could easily take up 2 tanks that size.. maybe even more.

If you have even traces of ammonia and no nitrates your tank is not cycled. You're going to have to watch it carefully and make more frequent water changes: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

I would treat the whole tank at this point with Kanaplex, if you can get it. When fish are dropping that fast it's usually bacterial.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #12 
Kitty Whiskers

Arrow Pictures of the rest of my fish

Here are some pictutres if this helps. Some are blurry but they are the clearest pics out of the dozens that I took today, Sorry. Another Betta died today, it was Pixie I added some Med that is for Fungus and Bacteria infections this morning. If you look at Sunkist (4th pic), she has a dark thing on her that was there when I got her, but I don't think is is a parasite or anything. The fish were already starting to get sick before I got her though. On Violet (last pic) she is changing whitish on her lower face and there are some red areas around there also.

1st is Fairy
2nd is Fiesta
3rd is Misty
4th is Sunkist
5th is Starley
6th is Violet

Fiesta and Starley are the very worst today. They ate a pellet or 2, but they stay floating on the surface of the water all claped up and are looking so exhausted.
Attached Images

Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #13 
callistra

You're overstocked and your tank is not cycled. What does "Ammonia: It is within the safe zone" mean? No ammonia is safe. While your cycling you want to do water changes anytime it hits .25ppm. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838 What kind of kit are you using to test the water?

What meds are you treating with?

Can your filter run carbons? I would put some in to make sure nothing foreign got into the tank.

Last edited by callistra; 12-21-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

I agree that those bettas look like they may be suffering from the effects of poor water quality. I don't agree that the tank is grossly overstocked (I have had much higher stocking levels with little issue). However, if your biological filter is struggling to keep up with the current bioload of your tank, especially with the addition of six more fish, this could be causing water quality issues.

What are you using to test the water? I had a lot of problems with older API liquid tests giving me false negatives (test was only a month old but was manufactured several years prior) so they are not foolproof. However, they do help give a fuller picture as to what is going on inside your tank.

Personally, I would be inclined to remove all those females into separate containers and provide clean, warm water (perhaps some IAL would be useful) and see if their symptoms don't improve. Treating the whole tank with a broad spectrum antibiotic if you don't know exactly wrong isn't something I advise. I only really medicate if my fish are on death's door and other methods haven't provided results.

Have you tried doing a couple of large water changes over the course of the day and seeing if that doesn't improve things?

You mention that your test results are better than usual, what would your 'usual' test results be? I would be worried if in an established tank that you are getting any readings other than 0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrite.

Also have you tested your source water? If you swapped to using tap water there could be something that your dechlorinator isn't detoxifying that could be causing issues.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:14 AM   #15 
Jessa24

I think it all went wrong with not qurantining those oto catfish. Also I think you are overstocked and if you're filter can't keep up then it's going to cause a problem with your water quality.
Jessa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #16 
Tikibirds

According to Aqadvisor, the tank is not overstocked. However it is possible I put in the wrong species of oto and cory's and since I don't know the filter in use - I just used Aqueon 30 for a 30 gallon tank. However aqadvisor is more of a guideline and I know they don't use filter capacity at 100%.

Quote:
Warning: You should add more aquarium filtration capacity.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 74%.
Recommended water change schedule: 26% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 78%. [Generate Image]

I do think you should do a larger water change though. if the tank really is not cycled, then it may be high ammonia or nitrites that are killing the bettas.

Quote:
Ammonia poisoning is one of the biggest killers of aquarium fish. It occurs most often when a tank is newly set up. However, it can also occur in an established tank when too many new fish have been added at one time, when the filter fails due to power or mechanical failure, or if bacterial colonies die off due to the use of medications or sudden change in water conditions.

The worst factor in ammonia poisoning is that elevated ammonia can't be seen. Although the effects can be seen, they are often misunderstood or missed entirely until it is too late. Regular water testing to detect elevated ammonia, and learning what symptoms to look for go a long ways towards combatting this invisible fish killer.
Symptoms:

• Fish gasp for breath at the water surface
  • Purple or red gills
  • Fish is lethargic
  • Loss of appetite
  • Fish lays at the bottom of the tank
  • Red streaking on the fins or body
Ammonia poisoning can happen suddenly, or over a period of days. Initially the fish may be seen gasping at the surface for air. The gills will begin to turn red or lilac in color, and may appear to be bleeding. The fish will being to lose its appetite and become increasingly lethargic. In some cases fish may be observed laying at the bottom of the tank with clamped fins.As the damage from the ammonia poisoning continues, the tissues will be damaged as evidenced by red streaks or bloody patches that appear on the body and fins. Internal damage is occurring to the brain, organs, and central nervous system. The fish begins to hemorrhage internally and externally, and eventually dies.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #17 
Kitty Whiskers

I don't think it would have mattered to quarentine the Otos because they would have still been just as healthy looking as they are now so I would have ended up puting them in the main tank and they still would have become sick. They are not sick themselves and none have died and eat alot so I wouldn't have known if they had anything that the Betta's could catch.....

I don't think it is water quality or because of the tap water. Just thinking this because I use all the same water, chemicals, conditioners as all the other tanks I have up and running with my Male Bettas and Cory Cats in. I change and test their water all the time and do water changes all on every weekend.

So far I tried more changes plus bigger water changes the past several days. I still have sick fish and Fairy just died today. She was the only one who didn't even act sick and still have super energy and was still eating. Now she is dead also.

Just so VERY frustrated that I can not save them even though I am trying so hard to! The pet store I bought them from told me to try BiFuron or something like that name, so I bought some from him to try.

The pet store owner told me none of his store's fish in the tanks where I bought the Otos or Female Bettas from are not sick at all. He even tested my water yesterday and said it is perfect. So it must not be a disease from the store, but something at home in my tank. But what? Nothing metal in the tank, I use good brands of fish pellets etc. Where am I going wrong?

So sad and depressed.... Thinking I should give up on the 30 gallon and get rid of it... Just don't know what else to do! :( :( :( :(
Old 12-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #18 
registereduser

You should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 10-20 nitrates. Your tank is not cycled.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #19 
callistra

The red on their gills is also potentially indicating problems with the water.. I would really separate your stock and not continue to keep them all together in that one tank. At this point I would treat the whole tank since everyone seems to be dropping. Do you mean Furan 2?
Old 12-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #20 
Kitty Whiskers

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
The red on their gills is also potentially indicating problems with the water.. I would really separate your stock and not continue to keep them all together in that one tank. At this point I would treat the whole tank since everyone seems to be dropping. Do you mean Furan 2?
No, it is called Bifuron here is a link I found...

http://www.uskoi.com/bifuran+.htm

It looks like this...