Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 04:17 AM   #31 
Fishehgobloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Whiskers View Post
I am just treating the whole tank cause there is nothing to cup them in. I am useing the Bifuron right now. The Bettas look a little better but still not wanting to eat much of anything. Only one more Betta has died since adding the Bifuron. But One Oto has died and the Cory Catfish look like they have fuzzy fins and mouths now and act sick plus wont eat.

Your cory catfish definitely have a fungus if they've got fuzzy fins and mouths. I'm sorry but this whole thread kind of seems like the problem is that you have fungus, possibly bacterial infections (probably from adding new fish without QTing them first), had a kink in your cycle (it seems like that came from adding too many new fish at one time). I think that everyone's suggestion of getting them out and treating them individually is your best option for saving them. I realize that it's been 3 days since the last post on here and that could mean that things have gone south. Sometimes it's difficult to treat a large tank, and the best thing to do is find a way to individually treat the fish in smaller quarantine tanks.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had so many problems, I know how that feels. My first female sorority (I had 10 hand picked girls that I thought were all gorgeous and unique) got a super bad bacterial issue and within 4 days of development, they were all dead.
Fishehgobloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #32 
Sena Hansler

Columnaris, would be the fungal infection... Which I find bettas do suffer terribly from it and drop like flies if not treated asap. However they would still benefit more, away from each other (contagion) as when one gets better, IF one gets better, they'll probably become sick again.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:16 AM   #33 
Butterfly

you can go to the grocery store and pick up those disposable/reusable zip-lock cups/tubs(the taller cylinders or something alike) for now to QT. cheap, clean(uncontaminated by soap, just rinse them first with hot water for fish use), and effective at doing the job.

I think at least trying to see how they do in new water with conditioner, daily changes, QT'd, etc. would be a good start....
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #34 
Perry the platypus

I'm so sorry. Did you try separating them? See how they react. When you put them in the cup, do a 100% water change to remove some* of the germs that might be getting you bettas sick. I don't really know that much...I can call Old Fish Lady to come and help.
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #35 
Oldfishlady

I was asked to take a look at your thread and by reading-it looks like the members have already given you good advice and not much I can add.

Sorry I couldn't help....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #36 
Kitty Whiskers

Well I did contact my Cat's Vet and he didn't know too much about fish or exotic animals but did know of a former employee friend of his that is a Vet who moved far away and he felt so bad about my delema that he called his Vet friend up and emailed him my pictures of the sick fish with my story of what is going on in my Sorority tank. The other Vet wasn't too sure either just by my pictures, but suggested a parasite med seeing they were starting to get skinny, even the ones who were still eating a little bit. He knows that I tried the Bacteria and Fungal meds already with no results plus they still kept dying.

So.... Yesterday I added some anti parasite meds to the 30 Gallon. The Vet said to keep all of the fish in the tank to treat them all plus to kill anything still in the tank and filter etc. He told me after all this I will probably have to recycle it all over again but will be more easy with less fish. I know I will have to do way more water changes and testing of the water if I do have to recycle it.

If they all end up dying I'm going to get rid of the tank or turn it into a crab tank or for a non water type pet or something IDK. But so far I am hanging in there in fighting this fight.

Oh one more thing...So far I have had no deaths today and they are all eating again this morning!!!!

Last edited by Kitty Whiskers; 12-31-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #37 
callistra

Have you noticed how many of us have said QT them out of the tank into new water? Hon, you've got 2 pages worth of people saying get them out of the tank for over a week now.. I really really think you shouldn't leave them in there.. and I'm not alone.. but it's still your call.. You've treated with so much stuff already. Parasites don't kill this quickly anyway. It's usually a slow starve until they get to a certain point or get a secondary bacterial infection. It's either something fast moving like bacterial or there's something in tank.. Even if you just float them in the same tank, getting them in some fresh water is crucial at this point.

Last edited by callistra; 12-31-2012 at 01:37 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #38 
Sena Hansler

Kanaplex is a strong medication, that I use for emergency cases such as bettas dropping like flies from a disease.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #39 
callistra

Me too. I'd QT and treat with Kanaplex.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #40 
Oldfishlady

Honestly at this point, I don't think it will matter one way or the other if the fish are QT'd for treatment since all the fish are symptomatic. Whats done is done, however, I do agree that a parasite is not the current problem-Most likely what you are dealing with is Mycobacterium due to compromised immune response.

Good luck and don't give up.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote