1. Staff doesn't have proper knowledge on how to take care of the fish.
2. They are often malnourished (Not fed) while in the pets store waiting to be purchased.
3. Because the shelves are up front, they often get hit with tons of cold air.
4. No heaters provided. (Normally)
5. The "Care Sheets" they provide normally do not hold accurate information.
6. Many petstores including Petco especially, sell far too young bettas.
7. Most stores won't sell the "sick" or "dying" bettas at a discounted price to someone that WANTS to help the fish. Rarely will they discount them or give them free.
8. A lot of stores FLUSH living fish while they are sick.
9. Because shelves aren't watched, a lot of time, two male bettas are put into one cup to fight.
10. Because shelves aren't watched, many teens or kids will try to feed the fish and will put too much and dirty the water.
11. Water changes rarely happen..
12. Some stores say it's okay to use regular tap water with OUT conditioning it.
That's my list.. sorry it's long