Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #1 
KellyK

Goodbye Spike

My betta, Spike, died last night. He'd been lethargic for a couple days and had some fin rot. We started treating with antibiotics, checked and changed the water (pH was high, so we added reducer), but it was apparently not enough. The test kit showed ammonia as slightly high but still okay, but this was right after a water change, so there was probably too much ammonia.

This was my first betta, and my first pet fish, so I was, and still am, pretty upset. I'd had him for just about a year.

This is actually why I joined the forum, because I'm hoping to find a breeder near me to get a healthy fish (Spike came from Petco), and also to learn more about keeping bettas happy and healthy.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #2 
shellieca

Sorry for your loss, sometimes we just can't figure out what's wrong & the best way to treat them. Now you have experience & can be an even better Betta keeper. As for the Ph, I doubt it contributed to his death, typically its best to just let it be as fish will adjust to it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote