Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #1 
djembekah

Does Fern have a tumor? :(

Fern came home in July, same time as i brought another girl home who's already passed.

She was fine her first few months here, then in September i noticed she started getting a little lump on her right side. Not huge, and even after quarantining in aq salt, it didn't go away. But she swam normally, was (IS STILL) active and nuts like all my other ladies, eats lots, nibbles on my fingers, and was a seemingly happy girl.

At first it was just her right side growing, so I was thinking tumor. Now she's pretty evenly round, and seems to still be getting bigger. What could this be?

Her tank mates when i noticed the little lump were just four other betta females. One of those passed away, and then there were only 3 other females for several weeks. Recently i put a couple of danios and a couple of swordtails into the tank as a temporary escape from some mating angelfish. I plan on rehoming those four fish, probably at a pet store, very soon.

I have lost two other betta females in that tank, from seemingly different causes. One died out of nowhere, seemed fine the day before and the next day just died, and the other one died from some very obvious dropsy. No other fish in the tank has shown signs of any illness or even stress.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #2 
BeckyFish97

My first thought is dropsy, but then I don't think she would have lasted long enough to get that big with dropsy, so I would say I think youre on the right track with the tumor diagnosis :( not sure for certain though! Don't give up hope-lol I've never had a fish with a tumor so I may be completely wrong!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #3 
djembekah

yeah i definitely dont think dropsy, simply because she's lived so long.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #4 
callistra

I would definetily be getting her in some epsoms salts.. pure and no additives as per the ingredients label. 1 tsp per gallon predissolved. May also need antibiotics..

What is the size of your tank? I'm assuming it's filtered? How long as it been running? How often/how much do you do a water change? I would definitely be checking ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Like all of you, I immediately jumped to dropsy, but she would have died months ago if it was... My best guess is severe constipation, I once had a fish that looked like that with a little less swelling, it lasted for almost two months and lived fairly normally. To relive some of it, I put him in Epsom salts and antibiotics. I don't think a tumor would be that big and even, but if it is a tumor she will die soon, there's nothing you can do about it but make her comfortable. Hope he gets better :)
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #6 
hannah16

You should ask Sena. She had a betta with a tumor. I think it maybe a tumor but I'm not sure since it's on both sides.. Maybe Matt has the right idea.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Could she be eggy?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #8 
djembekah

now that i think about it i'm pretty sure she was in epsom salts for a few days when i first noticed the issue. but i'll put her in a 1 gallon with some, the only problem is that i dont have heat for 1 gallon tanks. and no antibiotics/money until thursday after Christmas.

i'll go ahead and test water soon. the tank is 10 gallons, filtered, not planted.

fin- i dont think so because she'd probably have gotten rid of those eggs already if so.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

Oh okay. I hope you figure something out for her /:
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #10 
djembekah

also the tank doesn't have a real hood right now.