betta fish

Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #11 
Goldie2nd

Cool Cool thanks!
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #12 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You could alo use water sprite in tanks.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #13 
Kim

If you're going to do a rescue, I'd caution you against using live plants. You may be dealing with all kinds of diseases, and will want setups that can easily and safely be sanitized with bleach. My other suggestion is to do your research on different fish diseases and have a well-stocked medicine kit handy. Good luck! I always wanted to start a rescue...maybe someday when I have more time ;)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Not all the tanks will be medicated. Some will hold healthy Bettas and others will hold healthy Pet Bettas. For the healthy Bettas you should have that filter that connects all the tanks. But only for the healthy ones.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #15 
Goldie2nd

Hmmm thanks and yes Chocolate some of those Bettas will be my Bettas and others will be the rescued ones. I was thinking of getting quite a few Hospital Tanks also of course stock on all the meds that I could use to cure the little ones, but I've noticed that AS and a lot of clean water helps a lot and is easy to do. But I will look into all this more. This is just an idea right now but I am going to do some more reaserch on it.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #16 
BeckyFish97

I've never tried this myself but I know that a few people on here do run "rescues" the one I got a little involved in was sena's, the best thing you can do is make sure to have a full medical kit on hand, lots of clean tanks but also, by pulling out the worst fish in the store and showing them to the employees saying you want to take them home to care for them but you can't pay the designated price because there is a big risk the fish may die in your care, I believe a few people managed to get reduced price bettas nurse them back to health then sell them on to people who know how to care for them. use the proceeds from selling them to buy more meds and make the hospital tanks the best they can be, also another source of income would be adviseable, you could find something you are good at making and sell in order to earn more money to keep the rescue going lol these are all just ideas, its up to you what you do with them
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #17 
Kim

^^ yes, I agree with making sure you have an additional source of income as quite honestly, I would expect to loose money on the rescue.

Also, I'm in the process of compiling a scientific document concerning fish medications and have found some information that may be quite useful to you. For example, I was able to verify a longtime hypothesis that water composition differences influence the efficacy of certain medications. As it turns out, antibiotics of the tetracycline family (which are the active ingredients of Maracyn 2 and API T.C. Tetracycline) are inactivated by the presence of calcium and magnesium - in other words, they are quite ineffective in hard water. I am shocked that this is not written on the labels of this product, as it is quite frustrating to treat a fish with a product that is essentially a placebo, not to mention that this sort of inefficient treatment wastes valuable time and also money. So, my advice is to do some research while you wait to start up the rescue.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #18 
Goldie2nd

Thanks Kim and Becky I will definetly think about all this and do a lot of reaserch
Old 12-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #19 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Aquarium salt is great so is epsom salt.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #20 
Goldie2nd

Yes it is I saved a betta from Walmart in May he is now grown so much! I managed to save him and cure him of Popeye and high levels of amonia. By qt him, chaging water constantly and putting in some AS. I will defintely continue my research and maybe sell painting for added income.