Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2008, 08:42 AM   #1 
Blaxicanlatino

Betta is acting funny

I have my male betta in a 10 gallon tank with blue gravel stones and 2 plastic plants with a whisper power filter. He seemed VERy happy about his new place until just last night, i placed an albino corydora in his tank. Today, the betta just sits at the bottom in the same place, swaying on his sides. His colors look a bit off as well. Usually he reacts when i remove the hood of the aquarium and look above and he usually strides to the surface suspecting a feeding. but today he just sat in that same spot, swaying on his sides.

what could be wrong with him?

p.s. he usually swims toward me when i visit him also. now, since this morning, he just sits there and only moves to breathe from the surface; when he breaths from the surface, he tankes HUGE breathes and when he comes back down, he releases a bunch of bubbles from his gills
Blaxicanlatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #2 
SST

This is a new tank, right? Has it fully cycled yet?

What are your water parameters?

When's the last time you did a water change? How much?

What's the temp of the tank?
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:14 AM   #3 
Oldman47

Latino, the first thing I would do is a 50% water change. I had a betta in with several other fish that I thought was dieing because he was acting like yours. I tested and found my water not quite right so I did a major water change. A little later my wife came through and asked what medicines I had given for him to react so quickly and recover. I had to admit that it was just bad water.
Oldman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #4 
Blaxicanlatino

The tank isnt completely cycled yet, the betta was to act as a scout fish for fish cycling the tank. im tanking a water sample in today to the pet store to get results about the water parameters.

usually the temp is petween 80-84 degrees F. but over night, there was a sudden drop in temp to about 79 degrees F.

I do about a 10% water change every other day.

he was fine until i put that albino corydora in the tank!!! He was always sooo active until this morning.

the corydora seems to be acting funny as well. hes not moving much, and hes not bobbing his mouth up and down like they do

*sigh* this is disappointing :(
Old 02-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #5 
Blaxicanlatino

also, this morning, i fed him 4 bio gold pellets like i usually do (he ate them normally) but, i did did something different; to get some food down to the cory, i put some TetraFin GoldFish Flakes in. I kind of...put a bit too much. the betta ate like crazy most of the flakes, and after awhile just ignored the rest. the uneaten food sank to the bottom and i left it there to give the cory a chance to eat. about an hour later, i removed a vast majority of the food with a gravel vac along with 10% of the water
Old 02-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #6 
SST

Adding the cory before the cycle was complete may have been too much stress on both fish. The added ammonia created more stressful conditions.

The temperature drop may have also contributed to the problem. Extreme quick changes are the problem, not the temp it dropped to. Are you sure you've got the tank at the right temp? I just did a little web surfing and found that cories like 72-79 degrees and bettas like 75-84. It may be too warm for the cory.

Also, the same site said cories are schooling fish and you should have a minimum of 3. Yours might just be lonley. I don't know anything about cories, so hopefully someone with more experience will come along and advise you.

If you are serious about keeping fish, you should buy your own test kit. Get a liquid kit that has two testers for the ammonia and nitrate. I have the API master liquid test kit that tests for pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. You need to monitor your own cycle and water conditions. As soon as you noticed something wrong with the fishies, the first thing to do would be to test the water, then post here for help -- noting the parameters.

I have a notebook and I write down the test results so I can keep track of any changes. You'll need to do that to monitor the cycle. I also keep track of when/how much water changes, medicines, when I add new fishies, any other major changes (like cleaning the filter), etc.

Keep us posted!
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #7 
Blaxicanlatino

ok, t
i got the water parameters from Petco

the ph=8.0
ammonia=0.5
nitrogen=20
harness=150
Old 02-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #8 
Blaxicanlatino

how can i tell if the cycle is complete?
Old 02-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #9 
Falina

When the cycle is complete there will be 0 amonia, 0 nitrite and a steady, low reading of nitrate.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #10 
Blaxicanlatino

I did a 50% water change add isolated the betta in a 1 gallon tank for about 6 hours.

I also bought test strips.

the water parameters are:

temperater= 80 degrees F
nitrite= .5
hardness= 150
chlorine= 0
Alkalinite= 30
ph= 7
Nitrate= 10

are the parameters good?

i put the betta back inside the tank. he seems... a bit more active but still stays at the bottom. I also noticed that around his gills, there looks like a red patch but it could be due to the stress of moving to and from the tanks.

wow, all these problems just over night!!! 8)