Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #1 
aemaki09

meds and sanitizing live plants??

1. I have a bunch of plants in my sorority tank, I am treating the tank with Furan-2 right now. I read it would make jungle val melt, but will it kill any of my other plants? I cant move the fish into a QT tank because theres 14 that need treated (as a preventative for now, but i've already had 3 deaths, so not taking chances on the rest) and I really would rather not move the plants till I'm done treating if I dont need to because all my other tanks are stocked with plants as well.

2. One of my boys just died to a mystery disease, there was some riccia and a baby java fern in his tank, I would prefer not to toss them but will if thats the only option, but is there any way that I can make them safe to re-plant in another tank??

Any advice would be amazing!!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #2 
Geomancer

If you think it was the plants (if they were new additions) than just quarantine them for a month. If it's strong enough to kill baddies, it's strong enough to kill the plants.

For your other tank, it might, only time will tell. A lot of meds will kill plants.

Plants, and fish, should all be quarantined for at least a month before being added to an established tank. If the fish are kept happy, and stress free, the chance of disease showing up is extreamly minimal.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #3 
aemaki09

No I don't think the plants is what killed them or anything, I just wanted to know if I should sanitIze/disinfect them or something after a fish dies in the water it's kept in.
So what your saying is that I should QT them for a month?

In general I QT for about 2 weeks before new anything makes contact with existing tanks. something ended up slipping by me and got into my sorority tank by accident, guess its because I didn't QT long enough, but that's how long I've always been told to treat for
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #4 
Geomancer

As with all things it's a probability.The longer you QT, the higher the chance of catching anything (if there is anything to be caught).

A month would be on the safe side.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #5 
aemaki09

Ok thanks I'll do that from now on
Posted via Mobile Device