Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2012, 02:00 AM   #1 
moonsand0wls

Do I have everything for a new spawn? :")

I am still gathering things for my summer spawn, but this is what I have..
  • Spawn tank - around 80L.
  • Plastic Tub around 60L.
  • Thermometer
  • Heaters
  • Aquarium Sponge filter - yet to arrive via. mail.
  • Microworm culture.
  • Foam cups.
  • hiding spot for female.
  • Hurricane glass.
  • 19 glass jars.

I also have medications I use for all of my Betta:
  • Epsom salt, Tonic Salt
  • Wunder tonic (General cure for fin rot, etc)
  • Malachite Green

What else do you suggest I get for this spawn?

I will be breeding a Delta tail with a double tail.
I am choosing for the food to be infusoria for the first week, and then micro-worms exclusively.
Also, When the fry are old enough I will move half of them into the 60L container and keep the other half in the spawning tank, meaning there will be more room.

I am trying to make sure I have all my stuff sorted before I start! :)
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:28 AM   #2 
Fabian

Bbs eggs,those are important.
And maybe get more glass jars,you may get more than 19.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #3 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Bbs eggs,those are important.
And maybe get more glass jars,you may get more than 19.
Why are Bbs eggs important? I was going to feed microworms exclusively - Bbs eggs are WAY expensive here.

And okay I'm working on it :)
Old 12-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #4 
Fabian

Microworms are good for 1-2 week old fries only.
After 2 weeks feed them bbs,fries cannot survive only on micorworms.
My 1-5th spawn failed because i don't have bbs,now after getting my bbs,i finally got some fries which is now adults.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #5 
Myates

Feeding a lot of microworms are being blamed for many fry not developing their ventral fins.

Here was my list when I began a breeding set up. I started with enough for 2 spawns -

- Spawn tank - you don't need to go larger for it.. anywhere from 3 gallons to 10 works good as you will want the water down to 3-5 inches to help the male grab the eggs easier. You can have the tank full of water, but the larger the tank, the harder it will be for the male to keep up with falling eggs and fry. I purchased a 37L (10g) and fill it up to about 3 gallons.

- Two grow out tanks, each 113L + (30g) to make sure to give them plenty of room to swim/grow, and to avoid a quicker build up of waste and stunt hormones.

- A heater that will go up to 29*C (84/85*F) 1 for the breeding tank, 1 for each grow out tank.
- Sponge filters for each tank.
- Lots of live plants to help keep the water cleaner.
- Glass canopy for each tank to help keep the humidity in the tank which is very important.
- Lots of airline tubing - for the pump(s) for the sponge filters and BBS hatchery, and to suction out waste from fry tank.
- Turkey baster
- Thermometer for each tank
- Lots of IAL (for the tannin, along with using a part of a leaf + bubble wrap as a nest anchor)
- A few buckets as you will be doing daily water changes
- A 100+ separation containers - people use beanie containters or large deli cups (32oz+) and large jars. 17 isn't enough unless you plan on culling most of your spawn.
- A way to heat all of those containers (I use a very large and shallow plastic storage containers and 100w heaters in each one.. place some water in the bin with a heater and place the containers in the water to help keep them all warm)
- Multiple fry food - I have banana worms to start them out on (infusoria is only for the first couple of days), then microworms and then BBS.. after a while I have a couple different fry specific food I will use to help transfer them from live food to processed foods like pellets.

I know I have a lot more.. but can't really think right now, a little tired.. but you get the idea.

BBS may be a bit expensive, but a big can of it (if kept in the fridge) can last well over a year if you are only doing one spawn at a time.

Here is a list from one of the stickies at the top of this section (under Breeding information). It may help you get an idea of what is needed.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #6 
moonsand0wls

Cool - thank you :) I was thinking of feeding mw exclusively as it seems to be the only thing I can get here. BBS eggs are extremely expensive here - $150+ - But I will try find some cheaper :) thank you
Old 12-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #7 
Mo

Actually you cant feed them exclusively.. Unless you want your fry to die after a month of course ;)
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #8 
moonsand0wls

I'm not asking for a lecture. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #9 
Mo

What, a Lecture?

Anyways. I think you have what you need except of course... food. You dont need BBS as the above comments suggest. I feed egg yolk instead of live foods.. It works very well
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #10 
moonsand0wls

Sorry, it just feels like people are making fun of me for thinking I could feed them exclusively with infusoria! =\

So, what would work exactly? Where I come from basically the only thing readily available seems to be MW. (Hence why I thought I could feed them exclusively..) and for the BBS eggs do they need to be hatched? Or can you just feed the eggs into the tank?

And how does the egg yolk work?

Thank you :)