Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #1 
colorxmexravyne

Aqueon Minibow 5 vs Tetra Hawkeye 5

Hi all. I'm just about ready to start setting up a second tank (soil based NPT, hopefully) and I'm torn between the Terta 5 Gal Hawkeye and the 5gal Minibow. They're both right up my alley as far as price is concerned and I think they're just small enough to fit on my nightstand. And since I'm stuck between the two, I thought maybe someone here could help me choose?

1. First off, which tank would you recommend? And why would you recommend it over the other?

2. How durable is it? My current tank is glass and while it's scratch-free, it's also incredibly heavy and pretty fragile. From what I understand, the Minibow and Hawkeye are acrylic so they're lighter, but I've also heard that they succumb to everyday wear and tear quicker. Is that true? Also, do they scratch easily?

3. How strong is the filter? From what I've read from the NPT sticky, I won't necessarily need a filter for the entire duration that this tank is set up, but if it is strong, does baffling it help? Or would buying another filter just be a better option?

4. I'm assuming the answer to this question is yes but, can the light bulb that comes with the tank be replaced? And if yes, would the zoomed daylight bulb (10w, 6500k) fit?

I probably won't buy either of these tanks until after Christmas and in the meantime will keep reading reviews. But I just wanted to know what you all thought. Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited by colorxmexravyne; 12-19-2012 at 06:57 PM.
colorxmexravyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #2 
PopzTheBetta

i can only give you this info that i would get the minibow cause whenever theres a bend like in the hawkeye its hard to see the fish or it gets distorted
PopzTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #3 
Mashiro

I own the Aqueon 5 and yes, it does take the Zoo Med Daylight bulb. I'm currently using that bulb with Eco Complete substrate. It's a new tank, but I recommend it wholly. The filter also shouldn't need any baffling. Very slow current. Right now all I have in there is some anacharis stems and a bit of java moss on some driftwood. Nothing fancy, but enough to keep my guppy fry alive when they are born.

In my experience, my vote goes to the Aqueon 5.
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #4 
Jessa24

1. Upon reading reviews I think the Aqueon Minibow is better. It seems to have gotten better reviews overall and the filter seems right for a betta. Several people complained the filter on the tetra hawkeye was too strong or generic and difficult to find cartridges for.

2. They both seem to be durable. However a couple people complained their Tetra Hawkeye became easily cracked after only a month of using it or it came like that when it was bought online. Acrylic is much more lightweight than glass so it'll be easier to clean and such but it isn't scratch resistant and can succomb to normal wear and tear.

3. As I said before the filter seems better on the aqueon. If it ends up being to strong baffling does usually work.

4. I don't really know about the lightbulb per say. I do know I personally hate incandescent bulbs on a tank and I prefer LED lights.

Good luck!
Jessa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:33 AM   #5 
Xaltd1

To further complicate things for you, I bought the 5-gal Marineland Eclipse 5 Hex. I love the footprint. It has the bio-wheel filter. After I installed it, it made a splashing sound, which, at first annoyed me. But, as the directions said, the splashing goes away when the filter gets broken in. The filter is gentle & doesn't need a baffle. Right now, I adore the tank. I'm going to move it to my nightstand b/c the slight splashing is actually very soothing.
The reason I purchased it was that it was on sale @ Petco for a great price. I haven't explored changing the bulb yet.
What I love about these taller tanks is that you can plant heavily, but the fish still have lots of swimming room.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #6 
colorxmexravyne

Thanks for your input thus far, everyone! I was actually leaning towards the Minibow at the time of posting this, and you guys are confirming that it would be a good decision.

Xaltd1, you're right you did complicate things more haha! I think I would look into the one you posted before I considered the Tetra Hawkeye again. The Eclipse looks like a better quality aquariums, so thanks for your suggestion!
colorxmexravyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #7 
stareyes

I have had the mini bow 5 for about 2 months and I am really happy with it! It is a really nice tank, and I would definitely recommend that one!
stareyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqueon mini bow, tetra hawkeye