Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #1 
allaboutfish

is this how bad bettas usually look when theyre shipped?

so i bought this betta off of ebay (first pic) and then i received it like this (second and third). i just want to make sure thats the normal amount of damage bc i expected some but definently not that much.
Attached Images

allaboutfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #2 
Virto

Kind of hard to say from those pics, but some damage is totally expected - especially if the fish is nervous and bites fins.

Get the fish settled into a new home for a few days and see how he recovers. Once he's out of the bag, not anxious and content that he's safe, he'll loosen up a bit and you can better judge his condition.
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #3 
Friendlyfishies

I would be so irritated if thats how my fish arrived. I always wondered if I ordered a fish on the net how it would really look when it arrived..for instance, I always worry that maybe they took a nice pic of the fish months ago, posted that photo, while in reality the poor things been fin biting and dealing with rot for weeks...We would never know I suppose. Good luck getting him back to his glories!
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #4 
Mo

That is normal for heavily finned fish
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #5 
babystarz

Yes I have received fish in this condition before, usually it's the showiest ones who get the most stressed and fin bite during transport. Even when the seller is extra careful and includes IAL the fish may not react well. Make sure you watch him for continued biting, for some it does become a habit. I have one HM who may as well not have a tail, he will not let it grow out no matter what I do now. IAL helps a lot with stress relief and healing. Otherwise, clean water and quiet time are the best cure for this. Some additional biting might occur over the next few days before he's used to his new environment, so try to minimize outside stressors like light and people being around him.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #6 
allaboutfish

What's IAL
Old 12-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #7 
Mo

Indian Almond Leaf
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Yep unfortunately shipping is a pretty stressful experience for fish and with the heavily finned males you generally do see at least some nips taken out of their tails.

If your fish was packed correctly and arrived safe and in otherwise good health there really isn't much you can say or do. It's the risk you take when you get live animals sent through the mail.

I've been lucky in that I have only ever had a couple of bad shipping experiences.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #9 
allaboutfish

Oh he didn't include that.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #10 
Myates

Luckily I haven't received any fish that has damaged themselves from shipping. But shipping has been known to cause them to start biting their fins. Usually not as bad when you do overnight, but when you do regular shipping that takes a few days, that is when you will start seeing the most trouble.

He is a pretty boy though :) Love the oranges.. after the spawn coming up I'm starting an orange line.. can't wait hehe.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote