Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #11 
allaboutfish

Is it normal for them to lay on the bottom a lot?
allaboutfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #12 
AyalaCookiejar

No. It's normal for them to stay near the top a lot. It is definitely not normal to spend a lot of time at the bottom!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #13 
Tikibirds

How long have you had him? and how long was he in the mail?
As for right now, I am thinking two things.

1) He is still stressed from shipping and his ammonia level might of been a bit high
2) Different water chemistry from where he came from and where you are - I don't mean ammonia, nirates but like water hardness and PH. I know if the levels are vastly different and if they arenot acclimated very slowly, it can cause problems.

The only fish I have gotten in the mail were plecos. Had to go through 3 different sellers before I got 2 that were healthy and well packaged.

I would think the best thing for him right now is clean, warm water and maybe some darkness to allow him to destress a bit. Stress coat will help with fin regrowth if you have it.

Indiam Almond Leaf is usually only avalible via sellers in Asia. It's good to have on hand and releases tannins into the water. Normally the leaf will turn the water amber colored, which mimics the water in their natural enviroment. Supposedly it also helps them spawn, lowers PH too. If you decide to get some, I recommend AMY on ebay. I have gotten the cheaper leaves she sells and they are still in good shape - even if she gives them a C rating. Since you just drop the leaf in the tank, I really see no reason why the leaves need to be perfect looking.
here is one of her auctions:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amys-50g-C-I...item3a6828d208

Dried Oak leaves supposedly have a similar effect to IAL.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-19-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #14 
allaboutfish

I drip acclimated him
Old 12-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #15 
Dmsantana

Aw no, though im pretty sure he's fins will grow back to watch him. He looks very stressed
Dmsantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:10 AM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

How long was he in the mail for?

If fish are in the mail for a couple of days, opening the bag can cause the pH to suddenly shoot up and this means ammonia toxicity also increases (when the pH drops below 7 ammonia becomes converted into the less toxic form of ammonium). Then if you are slowly drip acclimatising the fish in without treating the shipping water with an ammonia detoxifying/binding product the fish is still being exposed to possibly toxic levels of ammonia until enough water is added to dilute the effects.

But it is normal for some shipped fish to take a few days to recover from the whole ordeal. I can imagine it would be pretty stressful to be jostled and shoved around in a cramped, dark bag filled with only a small amount of water and being possibly exposed to low levels of ammonia all the while.

Of course I have had fish come straight out of the bag and spawn that very same day with no acclimatization other than floating, so I think the whole recovery period is based on the actual shipping process and the individual fish.

Judging by how much damage your male did to himself I think it would be expected that he would be a little bit subdued.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #17 
allaboutfish

He was in the male for 2 days and i treated the water with prime when u started drip acclimating.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:59 AM   #18 
homegrown terror

i ordered a black dragon HMPK who shipped from california. this is him the day he arrived:

and this is him, barely a week later:

your guy should bounce back with good care. don't lose hope!
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #19 
callistra

I would treat with some stress coat and IAL if you can find it. If you see signs of actual rot you may want to use salt but he may just have bit them all off.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #20 
allaboutfish

Is it bad that hes still lethargic? He lays at the top and bottom a lot. This i what he looks like.
Attached Images