Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2012, 10:17 PM   #1 
ammv193

Exclamation Is my betta baby just stressed or could he be sick?

I'm worried about my little guy. When I first got him he just swam normally through his tank and blew bubble nests every day. A week later I changed his water and now its been almost two weeks with no bubble nests and spasm-like behavior.

He's in a 1Gallon tank, I usually leave the light on from 4pm through 10pm.
I give him three betta pellets in the morning and two at night.
I use the water conditioning fizz tabs when I change his water.
His water temperature is always around 78 F.

I was advised to put in a moss ball in order to maintain the algae content low in his tank so I bought one and put it in when I changed his water a week and a half after getting him. It has been 3 weeks since I got him. I'm thinking the moss ball is what changed his behavior? I just took the moss ball out today but I'm still worried about him...might he need a heater? or could he be just stressed?
I posted a video of his behavior on youtube: <www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOJYZCUqUfE>
ammv193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #2 
Fabian

He don't look stressed to me.
A stressed betta will stay in a place and doesn't move very often and only swims up for air and food.
If you think your betta is really stressed,try removing your fake plants,adjust your heater to a at least 80 F,do water changes at least 2 times a week and lower your pump and water current.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #3 
ammv193

The temp is now a constant 80F and he seems to be much more calm when I'm not right in front of the tank, he still displays that behavior if I'm visibly close to the tank..I'm starting to think it's for the food :)
ammv193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #4 
callistra

I would highly suggest changing from fizz tabs to something liquid. The fizz tabs take so long to work that your betta is exposed to nasties while it's happening, and they don't tend to work on heavy metals like some do. Look into Prime or NovAqua Plus that are added in drops according to the bottle.

What pellets are you feeding? That's a lot for a standard size, but okay if it's NLS. Also make sure he gets one fast day a week.

Also in a 1 gallon container he needs a minimum of 2 water changes a week - one 50% and one 100% at the end of the week. The care forum has a lot of stickies that may be helpful to you http://www.bettafish.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30 It talks about water changes for various sizes and many other interesting and useful bits.

ETA: Just looked at your video and realized you made two threads: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=122960 In case anyone else comes in the other has more talk.

Last edited by callistra; 12-20-2012 at 11:50 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help me, little guy, sick betta, stressed betta, worried