Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #1 
MoonShadow

I just want to say this *Mini Rant*

An friend of mine has a cousin who bought a betta a couple of weeks ago. She put him in a small, unheated bowl and fed him extremely low quality food. After a few days he developed what I believe was a bacterial infection and my friend asked me for advice, I told her to tell her cousin to get him a bigger tank (1 gallon is fine) and a heater to start with, and then to pick up some sort of broad spectrum antibiotic to treat the bacterial infection. Her cousin responded by saying that she can't afford a bigger tank or meds, and she doesn't want to waste the money she does have to save a $3 fish, so she just let him die...

Now I know that's a bit of an extreme case, but nothing upsets me more then reading something that says "Well I can't afford the meds/heater/bigger tank etc." If you can't afford to take proper care of your pet then you shouldn't have it, I don't care if its a betta, puppy, hamster or what, all animals deserve proper care. So many people seem to think that because a betta costs such a small amount of money that they will be super cheap to take care of, but thats not the case, there are a lot things that can go wrong. If you can't afford a proper tank, a heater and quality food, don't buy the fish. If you can't afford to buy medication if something goes wrong, then don't but the fish.

No one is entitled to have a pet, pets are a privilege not a right!! I'm sorry for the rant but it's just something that has really been bothering me!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #2 
Signature Farms

This. So much.

My little Aussie mix, Bree, ruptured her ACL and needed knee surgery. So far she's cost me over $5,000 in two months in vet bills. My co-worker said if that was his dog, he'd have had it put down and gotten a new one. I started crying right there at work, thinking how little Bree trusts me to take care of her.

I despise that kind of thinking. Whether fish or dog, or another animal. It's a living being! If you don't want to take the responsibility, monetary or other, then don't get the pet!
Signature Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #3 
PopzTheBetta

ya man my freinds mom has a betta in a vase with the plant i told her it was bad but she said, "i rather have this its prettier" some people kinda suck
PopzTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #4 
MoonShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature Farms View Post
I despise that kind of thinking. Whether fish or dog, or another animal. It's a living being! If you don't want to take the responsibility, monetary or other, then don't get the pet!
Exactly! I am so tired of people asking for advice on their sick fish and then turning it away because they "Can't afford the treatment" if you can't afford it you shouldn't have the fish plain and simple
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #5 
SnowySurface

I'm more upset by the fact the cousin thinks a $3 fish isn't worth saving. That tells me the cousin could have pooled together the money to save the fish, but didn't feel like it. }:(
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #6 
nel3

i wonder if such people would forgo treating their own children to a life saving operation when they can pay for it by any reasonable means. its sad to know some people would just look down on sick/injured animals just because they're not a human being. i have most of the fish meds on hand though i have yet to use any for such a serious purpose. so far ive only used the salts to treat my fish.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #7 
Signature Farms

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
i have most of the fish meds on hand though i have yet to use any for such a serious purpose. so far ive only used the salts to treat my fish.
Me too! I've only had to use Melafix so far in an import who chewed half his tail off during shipping. But I'm prepared for anything else!
Signature Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #8 
nel3

i have ES andAQ salt, api general cure, Jungle ick guard and fungal infection. all of the best meds arent legal for sale in Quebec grrr. so maracyn and other meds with similar chemicals are banned from sale.

how well does melafix work for you? i personally dont use such products for the eucalyptus oil in them.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote