Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

What types of cloths are safe for cleaning?

For things like wiping down the inside of the aquarium walls and wiping down the inside of the hood. Please don't say algae scrubbers or scrapers because I want to use something soft. I am mostly wondering about common household materials, like a washcloth that has never been used for example. I want to use something re-usable.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

I'm thinking something like a baby washcloth would be okay. Something like this:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=11873287
Old 12-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Are you talking about an empty tank when you say the inside? For the hoods I use a regular hand towel, for my 46g glass hood I use papertowels. For the inside walls of my tanks, my tanks are all glass, on the rare occasions I wipe them down I use the item you don't want me to mention . On the outside of all of my tanks I use a regular hand towel. If you are talking about using a cloth on the inside of a full or in use tank, I would be extra cautious that it has ONLY been washed in water no detergents or fabric softner, etc.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Are you talking about an empty tank when you say the inside? For the hoods I use a regular hand towel, for my 46g glass hood I use papertowels. For the inside walls of my tanks, my tanks are all glass, on the rare occasions I wipe them down I use the item you don't want me to mention . On the outside of all of my tanks I use a regular hand towel. If you are talking about using a cloth on the inside of a full or in use tank, I would be extra cautious that it has ONLY been washed in water no detergents or fabric softner, etc.
No I mean a tank with water and a fish and everything in it... I was thinking about using a brand new baby washcloth and after rinsing it out with hot water a few times.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Also, I would mostly just be using it to wipe down the underside my glass top on cleaning day to avoid a mold breakout and then just use it on the inside of the tank walls if algae shows up...with the fish and everything in there...

Last edited by finnfinnfriend; 12-19-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #6 
babystarz

Yes that sounds like it would work fine, you just need to make sure not to get any rock or sand bits in the cloth and then scrub, or you'll get scratches.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Yes that sounds like it would work fine, you just need to make sure not to get any rock or sand bits in the cloth and then scrub, or you'll get scratches.
Okay thank you :)
Old 12-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #8 
Geomancer

You can use anything really, so long as it hasn't been used. Most everything in this regard is cotton.

If the tank is acrylic you have to be far more careful about scratches, and I would use something with a very high thread count on that.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post
You can use anything really, so long as it hasn't been used. Most everything in this regard is cotton.

If the tank is acrylic you have to be far more careful about scratches, and I would use something with a very high thread count on that.
So you are saying anything that's new and cotton is safe? What if there is polyester in it too?
Old 12-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #10 
Geomancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
So you are saying anything that's new and cotton is safe? What if there is polyester in it too?
That's fine too. It really doesn't mater ;)

Not like any fabric is going to have toxic chemicals on it or something.

Just rinse it out a little the first time to be safe and peace of mind.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote