Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #1 
txbettaowner

Exclamation 2 females attacking each other

I have a sorority. I have one female in a 1.5 gallon tank as she is healing from fin rot. I have 5 females in a 10 gallon tank. I just recently readded one of the females to the 10 gallon tank and now her and one of my veiltails are literally attacking each other. They bit each other on the scales, fins, etc and they now have locked mouths and sunk to the bottom of the tank then let go and swam away to only return attacking each other again. What do I do? I posted pictures of them with their mouths locked below. They are not going after any of the other females only each other.
Attached Images

txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I had two that did this, I put one into an opaque bowl, floated it in the tank for a few hours then re-introduced her & the've been fine ever since. Still the occasional flare & posturing but no more locking onto each other. BUT sometimes this doesn't work & you may just have to keep them separate.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #3 
txbettaowner

They were fine before I took the crowntail out of the tank but once I reintroduced her back into the 10 gallon tank they have been fighting. should I float the crowntail in a cup in the tank then reintroduce her in a few hours?
Old 12-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Did you rearrange the decor and remove all your girls when you added the new girl back in?
When you remove a girl for any reason and re introduce her or add a new girl to your tank, in order to prevent/lower the risk of some more serious aggression you need to remove all your girls into separate containers, rearrange all your plants and decor, then add everyone in at once. There will be some squabbling as they reestablish a pecking order, but its going to be spread out so no one should come away with too much damage.

If you don't remove and rearrange, since the other girls in the tank have already likely established an order and territories, they'll go after the new girl and eventually end up killing her.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #5 
txbettaowner

Well they quit attacking each other now. I have been going over and checking on them. I see no attacks so far anymore. I know this now for future reference. thank you Dragonfish
Old 12-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #6 
DragonFish

You're very welcome. :)
It still may be a good idea to go ahead do the full remove and redecorate, or at the very very least go in and switch some things around. They may have stopped now, but that doesn't mean they won't start up again later.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote