Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #1 
SuperNoob

Will meds lose effectiveness if premixed

So I am going out of town for 4 days and I will have someone come in and continue my 100% daily water changes for my sick betta. If I premix my water and add the antibiotics to the jugs of water and have her use 1 a day for 4 days, will the antibiotic lose its affectiveness after a day or two of sitting in the jugs?
SuperNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #2 
callistra

Yes, they will. You can't do that.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

What is the disease your treating?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #4 
SuperNoob

darn it. Body rot and popeye. He is pretty sick. Been treating him for 2 weeks with Marecyn plus and not much change so i switched to Erthormycin. I'll just have to divide up the meds into some tin foil or something so she can pour it in the jug while she warms it up.

My original post is called big white patches, cloudy puffy eyes. Got some much needed help.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #5 
Silverfang

you can premix salt water, but generally after 24 hours, premixed meds are no longer effective sadly :/
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #6 
callistra

Erythromycin is not generally effective for eye infections. He needs pure Epsom salts (check ingredients label. Pre dissolve 1 tsp per gallon. Plus a different antibiotic.. Kanaplex, maracyn plus (what size and how are you dosing?) or furan 2

You can't cut the meds accurately. You have to use the dissolving method. If she can do 100% water changes and acclimate without shocking you should be able to teach to mix up the meds..

Last edited by callistra; 12-19-2012 at 12:15 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #7 
SuperNoob

i gave him marcyn plus 1ml for 1 gal of water for 12 days. Havent seen any change in his condition. I figured the antibiotics lose their affectiveness after that long just like in humans. I also add a tsp of AQS and 10ml of stress coat and do 100% water changes everyday. Temp is 81 degrees. Erthromycin is the same as Marcyn 2. Is that not the best antibiotic for body rot? Im more concerned about that right now, it covers 50% of his body.

i measured the meds with syringes. The entire pack for 10gal is 2ml. Divide that by 10 and its .2ml. I have a baby syringe that goes from .1 to 1ml. So i just fill that up to .2 ml.

Last edited by SuperNoob; 12-19-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Is he a rescue?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #9 
SuperNoob

No, i just didnt know what i was doing. Got him from my local pet store. He had 1 puffy eye when i got him. If you want the whole story check my original post here
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....+patches+puffy
Old 12-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #10 
SuperNoob

The eyrthromycin is doing something cuz he's laying at the bottom of his tank kinda sideways. The change made him lethargic. Seems like the acts it would take to cure him may also kill him. =(