Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #1 
mattdocs12345

Going filterless

Got a 2.7 gallon. I am going filter free. I will follow OFL recommendations for twice weekly water changes. I am also adding Prime with every 24 hours. I also have the tank planted with hairgrass, anubia and I have few more plants coming such as Cabomba, Ludwiga and Moneywort. Hairgrass is already growing very fast and Im hoping the other ones will pick up as well to create thick vegetation. Any other suggestions to keep my betta safe?

Last edited by mattdocs12345; 10-28-2014 at 09:52 AM.
mattdocs12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Live plants! Honestly, that's what really keeps my fish safe most of the time. But it's a whole other world to get into and I understand if it seems like a daunting idea to get into. I don't mind helping out in the planted world though if you want to learn more ^_^

Honestly though, Betta's don't produce enough waste to harm them so you don't necessarily need to use Prime every day if you are doing the twice weekly changes. I mean, you definitely can but if you happen to miss a day, it's not going to kill your fish, just know
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #3 
mattdocs12345

Yeah suprisingly my hairgrass is growing really fast without any substrate. I keep it free floating and my betta loves resting on it. I really want to create a dense vegetation for him. But no substrate so it is less messy and easier to clean.
mattdocs12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can anchor the plants too with rocks or driftwood so you can still remove it easy but it's easier for the plant to grow too. Or weight with plant weights too :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote