Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2012, 03:12 AM   #1 
Canes92

New beta owner<<<

Hi, I'm new to owning a beta and from what I've seen on some of the posts I now know what I need as far as a tank and what it should have. But for now until I get some time to go buy a 2 gallon tank I have to keep him in a relatively small tank with a water heater. But here is my question, it kind of gets cold in my room at times and I was wondering, is the water heater still capable of keeping the temperature of his water tank at 76 degrees even if it gets pretty cold in my room at times? If not I ill try my best to make it warmer in my room.
Canes92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:17 AM   #2 
RoMay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes92 View Post
Hi, I'm new to owning a beta and from what I've seen on some of the posts I now know what I need as far as a tank and what it should have. But for now until I get some time to go buy a 2 gallon tank I have to keep him in a relatively small tank with a water heater. But here is my question, it kind of gets cold in my room at times and I was wondering, is the water heater still capable of keeping the temperature of his water tank at 76 degrees even if it gets pretty cold in my room at times? If not I ill try my best to make it warmer in my room.
As for the heater part I know SOME heaters are capable of keeping it warm. I have two betta tanks one has a 30 dollar heater that failed to heat properly when it got super cold tues. It was in the mid fordies last night so it got really cold in my room. However the other heater I have held my other tank at at a steady rate of 80 so long as my tank lid was on with a cheap 11 dollar heater. So it really depends on the type of heater you have and if your tank has a lid.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:23 AM   #3 
Canes92

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMay View Post
As for the heater part I know SOME heaters are capable of keeping it warm. I have two betta tanks one has a 30 dollar heater that failed to heat properly when it got super cold tues. It was in the mid fordies last night so it got really cold in my room. However the other heater I have held my other tank at at a steady rate of 80 so long as my tank lid was on with a cheap 11 dollar heater. So it really depends on the type of heater you have and if your tank has a lid.
I don't have a lid that came with it but I am keeping something over the top with some holes for oxygen to get through. When I got the fish I had no idea they had to have at least a 2 gallon tank. The people at the pet store were all like "oh it will be fine" and didn't even tell me about needing a water heater until after I noticed he got sick. But he's alright now thankfully due to the medication I bought
Canes92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:23 AM   #4 
RoMay

YEAH I am guilty my bettas while they are tiny are in a gallon, but I can see where that will fit in especially after I kidnapped and cleaned my other roommates betta tank (few of us living in there). Plus two gallons you CAN find tiny filters for. If you have a dollar store get a plastic cutting board and cut out a few peices maybe in a design XD then cover the open holes with craft mesh (so the betta won't do a free Willy on you). That will provide good coverage and is very stable.

YEAH they never tell you about water heaters. And the only place I seen have betta heaters and other supplies visible to any betta buyers is petsmart.

PS: I hate the flat heaters they either don't work or just to much of a hassle.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #5 
Myates

I use Hagen Elite (from that web site) with no trouble - for tanks 1.75g and up. They work wonderfully for all sizes.

The minis are what I use for tanks under 2g.. you can adjust the temp on them and have no issues keeping the water the correct temp.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote