Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #1 
Appa Yip Yip

Filter near plant?

Hi everyone I just finished setting up my new 2.5 Gallon tank (a huge upgrade from what he was in before) for my Betta and he seems to like it. The only problem is the filter is right near the plant in the tank. Should I move the plant away from the filter nozzle? He doesn't seem to go near the plant and I think it is creeping him out
Appa Yip Yip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #2 
Agility4fun

Do you only have one plant? Are you using the plant to baffle the outflow from your filter? If it's the latter, you could baffle the filter a different way and keep the plant where it is and get another on the other side.

I have 3 swords along the back of my 2.65g and one is next to the filter, but my fish doesn't seem to mind since he swims straight up along the side in and among the leaves. I baffled in the intake and outflow of my filter so it's pretty calm water around it.

Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #3 
poppyred

Congratulations on the upgrade! I am also in the process of setting up new tanks so I don't know enough to offer any advice, but I look forward to hearing more about your tank. :)

Agility4fun - how did you baffle your intake? I think we have the same filter and I am not sure what size filter bag to use on mine.
poppyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #4 
Agility4fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyred View Post

Agility4fun - how did you baffle your intake? I think we have the same filter and I am not sure what size filter bag to use on mine.
I cut the foot off of a black pair of tights, cut in half again and slipped the toe section over the intake and secured it with a rubber band.

For another tank with the same set up I pulled out the carbon cartridge and put some sponges in there.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #5 
poppyred

Thank you for the how-to, I am sure my fish will appreciate the reduced flow
poppyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #6 
Agility4fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyred View Post
Thank you for the how-to, I am sure my fish will appreciate the reduced flow
Sure, no prob