Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #1 
Lizdu

Unhappy Update on fishy #5

I am sad to report that fishy #5, possibly named Survivor, didn't make it. He did live 2 full days, and this AM, was lying on his side on the bottom of his tank. He was barely breathing, and barely moving his fins. We have come to the conclusion, that it just has to be the batch from PetSmart. Hubby is going to take him back today, and get one from the new shipment. I also plan to get one from a different store. This is all so frustrating!
Lizdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Wow, that's too bad. I've never lost fish like that, all of my Bettas have come from Petsmart & Petco & all weren't healthy purchased. There's only been one that wouldn't get healthy; it took about 6 wks for him to pass. The others I've lost I know was due to my lack of knowledge in properly caring for them, I'm always learning something new in Betta care. I hope you're able to get one & enjoy it for years to come.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #3 
Lizdu

Thanks! In my first thread, I mentioned that I had never, ever had a problem before with bettas. Even when I was a child and a newbie. I'm thinking, like others stated, it might've just been a bad batch. I'm really hoping that this new shipment is better.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #4 
Myates

Are you sure nothing is being sprayed in the air near the tank? Even with a bad batch, this is some bad luck you have going on.

But this last one you did buy was already ill when you got it.. may have to try to find the healthiest one next time :(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

What do you have in the tank? (Gravel, plants, decorations, etc?) Also, do you have a filter?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #6 
Shadyr

I'm sorry he didn't make it. You had mentioned he had popeye, which is certainly a sign of something fairly badly wrong, usually an infection of some kind. Which might back up the theory that the whole lot was infected with something.

I do hope you find a healthy one! Wash the tank and anything that's gone in it well with dilute vinegar or bleach!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #7 
Lizdu

Thanks all. Nothing was sprayed or anything near the tank. The one I had him in was empty since I was treating him for the popeye. I had the main tank set up for when he was better. I just do not get it at all. the first few were in my daughter's room, and these last two were in the kitchen. Should I change the water conditioner I'm using? I'm currently using TopFin Water Conditioner. The tests show all normal though.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #8 
Shadyr

I like API StressCoat+ (slime coat aid + water conditioner) and a lot of people swear by SeaChem Prime. YMMV.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #9 
Lizdu

Okay. thanks. I was a bit wrong. It's the TopFin Betta Water Conditioner.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

I haven't had a problem with the Top Fin Water Conditioner. (You can see the ingredients if you visit the PetSmart website.)

Is your water heavily chlorinated? If so, you may need to add a little extra of the conditioner.

Do you have a test kit? If so, you can try testing your tap water for ammonia. If it has any, you may need to switch to a conditioner that removes ammonia. (Prime, etc.) My local water doesn't have ammonia, but some people here said theirs does.

As others have said, #5 was already sick, so the odds may have been against him from the start.... I'd suggest going with the healthiest looking guy next time.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote