Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #1 
Lissa3116

Question Question about betta food

What do you feed your betta and how much? (Ex. How many pellets, etc.)
Lissa3116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #2 
DragonFish

I currently just feed my boys New Life Spectrum Betta Formula as far as pellets go. They each get 3-4 with an occasional 5th if it drops in there twice per day, and I replace a couple meals per week with frozen(usually Hikari)bloodworms and Brine Shrimp.
I'm hoping to pick up some frozen Krill soon(I keep forgetting xD), so I'll be offering that maybe every other week or so as well. I've also been looking into getting some live Flightless Fruit Flies to feed as well.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #3 
Lissa3116

So they should be fed 5 pellets a day? I'm so scared of over feeding
Old 01-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Depends on YOUR betta.

Example:

Mickey DT eats 2 pellets in the morning, 1 at night.
Janey DTg eats 4 in the morning, 4 at night.
Phantom Menace (giant) eats twice (or more) as much as Janey.
Lovelace EE eats 3 in the morning, 3 at night.

Why the odd difference? Each one of mine has different tummies and digestion tracks. Mickey has a wimpy belly, and gets bloated very easily. He also is never ever ever fed freeze dried or flakes. While Janey can eat a heck of a lot more, and finely show a full belly after she is fed a lot more. Her fry eat a lot too
The giant obviously because of size needs to eat more.

If I had a baby betta (which I have 200) they do not get fed the same amount, since their food is smaller.

Every type of food, and the betta itself are factors in how much to feed.

KNOW your betta! Try feeding your betta a pellet at a time, and see when his belly begins to expand. Really, you do not need to feed more than 4-6 a day (depending on the betta again). Mine are always fed variety as well, and fasted once a week.

Their food: Shelled mealworm, thawed bloodworms, Tetramin tropical granules.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #5 
Lissa3116

Thanks for the info. I have a VT and he's a pretty big boy. Do you feed all at once or 2 in the morning, 2 at night
Old 01-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

I try to break it up... So instead of Janey getting her 8 pellets all at once, she gets 4 in the morning and 4 at night.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #7 
Lissa3116

Wow. I was feeding mine once a day. Sometimes twice. 2 pellets a day
Old 01-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #8 
DragonFish

It does somewhat depend on the individual betta, each one is different and processes different foods differently of course and its always a good idea to know your betta well, but also over-all its important to take into consideration the size and quality of the pellet you're feeding.
Generally for a normal-sized, healthy betta.....with a larger, lower quality pellet brand(like Tetra or Hikari, for example), 1-2 twice per day(making a total of 2-4 over all per day) is what you want to stick to because the large amount of fillers in these foods are going to cause some more issues if fed too much. With a higher quality smaller pellet(like Omega One or NLS, which is really what you want), generally about 2-4 twice per day(making a total of 4-8 over all per day)is a good amount to stick with because they have more meats and such, which are better and easier for your betta to digest and process.

Spreading up the feedings is also a good idea....just like a doctor will tell you small, frequent meals are healthier to eat, smaller slightly more frequent meals are a little easier on a bettas digestive system. Most stick to about twice per day.

Basically...know your betta, and look at the ingredients. Really, its like feeding any other pet.

Just for the sake of some extra information by the way, here is a nice little thread posted a while back that addresses food quality and such.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....99#post1263699
Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

I find omega one to be a mystery because when you cook down whole meats into pellet form, they loose about 80 percent of their volume because it's water. Do you trust that omega one has more meat than anything else in it's food?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #10 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
I find omega one to be a mystery because when you cook down whole meats into pellet form, they loose about 80 percent of their volume because it's water. Do you trust that omega one has more meat than anything else in it's food?
Personally? No, I don't. I very much so prefer NLS myself for a large number of reasons....lately there really has been a lot of controversy over Omega it seems, though I've also not been quite as active on the forum for a bit so I'm still trying to catch up on the finer details addressed around here and do a little research on it all myself.

Last edited by DragonFish; 01-03-2013 at 12:11 PM.