Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #1 
Solaris

Betta Without Filter

I struggle with anxiety, so it's made it very difficult to set up my 5-gallon tank.

It's taken me two months, but I finally had enough courage to set it all up and plug everything in. But, I had to take out the filter because I was just so scared that it would malfunction. (I know it's ridiculous, but I was starting to obsess over it, and it was making me sick.)

So, would it be okay to keep a Betta without a filter? I have a heater and silk plants and a liquid water testing kit. The good part about my anxiety is that I would definitely make sure that the water quality would always be excellent.

It's a little funny, because fish help with my anxiety; but I wouldn't want my anxiety to prevent me from having one.
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #2 
bettaisbetter

It's alright if you don't want a filter. You will just need to do more water changes to prevent ammonia poisoning. For a 5G, I would do 2 weeks of 1 100% and 1 50%, and the other 2 weeks just 100%. This should be enough, live plants will help a lot. These fish are really therapeutic, they will help you in every path you choose. :)
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #3 
Sparrowhawk

+1 to fish being therapeutic!

It's fine to have them without a filter as long as you keep up with keeping water quality good, which you've got covered, so you're all good!

As has been said above, live plants help a bunch. A bonus is that setting up/arranging a planted tank is another awesome therapeutic activity, at least for me, not sure about others.

Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #4 
Solaris

Oh good! I'm glad.

Do I need special substrate for live plants? Right now I just have regular aquarium gravel.
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #5 
bettaisbetter

Not really. Java fern, java moss, swords, and anubias will do just fine. Just remember not to bury their rhizomes; if you do, the plant will die. The rhizome is the brownish black sphere base.
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #6 
finnfinnfriend

You only need to do a weekly 50% with a monthly 100% water change in a 5 gallon with no filter.

Just out of curiosity, in what way were you worried the filter would malfunction?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

I love my java fern. It is the most hardy plant I have ever had, it sprouts new ferns... Java moss is good too, as is anubias.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #8 
majesticstorm

Yes it is fine, I'm currently doing that myself. I found that my boy had trouble swimming around the intake valve even after stuffing it with sponge. I used to do the 50% weekly with a 100% monthly, but Callistra suggested that I do a 100% weekly instead, which makes sense. Your tank is a 5 gallon tank, but it doesn't actually hold 5 gallons once you have your gravel and decorations in the tank.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #9 
FishFriend9292

My 10 gallon has no filter, and its doing just fine. I just make sure to keep up on water changes. Many bettas don't like any water disturbance at all, so it's a good thing. I agree, live plants do suck up ammonia, sometimes even better than a filter!
FishFriend9292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

I actually do 50% twice a week, because it removes the sludge from the top of the water, and I just find it easier :3
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote